Eggs are due!

Purpleseabreeze

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 15, 2014
Queensland, Australia
I've been incubating two kharki Campbell eggs, it's going into the 29th day ,I've noticed a dark mark appearing on the surface of the egg does that mean it's getting close to hatching? This is my first experience hatching my own eggs so not sure what I'm doing! I candled them yesterday to make sure there still alive and I did see a tiny movement ! :D I know they can be a couple of days over due so just waiting quietly jumping up and down with excitement!!!

I've been incubating two kharki Campbell eggs, it's going into the 29th day ,I've noticed a dark mark appearing on the surface of the egg does that mean it's getting close to hatching? This is my first experience hatching my own eggs so not sure what I'm doing! I candled them yesterday to make sure there still alive and I did see a tiny movement !
big_smile.png
I know they can be a couple of days over due so just waiting quietly jumping up and down with excitement!!!

Please resist the urge to candle them once they're in lockdown because any movement can mess them up for hatch. That's why both of my eggs died last year, one drowned because it pipped the wrong end after I'd picked it up while trying to candle and the other just didn't make it.

They're already late, which has me a bit concerned. The black spot may have been their beak sticking out of the air cell, or it could be a sign of DIS. Since you opened the bator hatch they may also be shrinkwrapped and unable to pip. Since you only saw "tiny movement" I fear that may be exactly what's happening, because during hatch they should be wiggling around like heck!

Last edited:
Following. I found a broody hen in the rafters of of my coop with 7 eggs. No clue on age if eggs but 3 days ago the greyish watermark looking band popped up in 3 eggs.

I've searched and searched. Some people say its fine, others say the mark means they died. Very curious!

In your case, I would recommend candling because you don't know the age of the eggs. If you see a ring in the egg and no clear veins, then I'm afraid they're gone.
sad.png

Ok will not touch them again, but I have to keep the water up for humidity, how can I do that if I can't open the bator? Thanks for the feedback.

A spray bottle with warm water works if you're having issues keeping the humidity up, just open the hatch door barely wide enough to get the nozzle in and give it a couple squirts. But if another day goes by and you still don't see anything, then you may have to intervene. I wish you luck, and I really hope the babies are just being stubborn and that there isn't a problem. :/

Back
Top Bottom