eggs changing color??

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
I have a RIR hen who is the only one of all my gals thats laying. This is her first year so I guess shes still a pullet?
Anyhow, shes been laying for a couple months and I have noticed that her eggs are usually different sizes and shapes which I know will be normal since she just started laying. What is odd is that they change colors too, they are sometimes a dark brown for a week or so, then they got lighter, and now today she layed a pink colored egg! She free ranges all day everyday, and has had the same feed available, so what could be the reason for the changing colors and lightening of her eggs?
idunno.gif

ETA: Its definetely the same hen laying the eggs, shes the only one and i see her in the box all the time and saw her today.

Last edited:
its normal for a hens eggs to lighten up as her laying cycle progresses, at the begining of her next cycle, they should be darker again

ok good to hear, because i just read something about egg drop sydrome or something like that where that was a symptom. so even tho shes only been laying for a couple months- if that, they will already start lightening?

I think that's pretty normal for chickens eggs to fluctuate and vary.
I had a hen who was so big that when she got in the nesting box her behind stuck out and the egg would always fall on the floor. The shell was always so strong it would never break. Anyway hers for a while all had a white ring on them, of varying sizes and in different areas, but always a white ring.
Eventually that stopped and I'll never know why.
My point is just not to worry---the hen that did that is very happy, healthy, and normal. (Except for the fact that she's survived a coon attack.
big_smile.png
)
--H

Last edited:
Quote:
x2. I've got a couple older hens right now that lay almost every day, and as they get near molt their eggs are pale pink/almost white. Once they molt (assuming they do like they did last year) their eggs will be a fairly rich, medium brown.

I just got my first 2 chickens this week ( 7mth old barred rocks.) We have got 8 eggs in total from them in the past 7 days and only 2 of them have looked alike. From what i have read here and other sources this is very common and nothing to be concerned about. This even happens in commercial poultry but they only sell the "perfect" eggs in the store. The "odd" places that break the eggs and sell in large volume tanks to food processing plants. The differant colour means nothing to the quality of the egg

Back
Top Bottom