Eggs cracked while being put in lockdown,will they hatch?

Georgia Boy 1970

Songster
9 Years
Feb 3, 2010
Northeast Ga. Banks County
Last night I had the lid off my top hatch incubator to put water in, getting ready to go into lockdown. I went into the kitchen and left unattended for just a minute. Just enough time for my 3 year old to somehow crack 2 eggs.The membrane is still intact. They are scheduled to hatch wednesday. Will they hatch? These are frizzled w.c. blue polish bantam eggs and they are shipped eggs.
Thanks

I'd give them a shot. There are two big risks from cracked eggs. One is that bacteria can get inside and multiply. Bacteria might not get in at all. Or if it does, it might not have enough time to multiply and cause harm before they hatch. There is a chance it will kill this chick if bacteria does get in, but it should not explode before the hatch is over. This is the risk I would worry about but I'd take this risk at this point.

The other problem is that the egg could dry out faster with the shell cracked. Since you are going into lockdown, you are going to raise the humidity anyway, so this should not be a problem. If it were earlier in incubation, it could be a serious problem.

Some people put wax on a cracked egg to seal it back up. You don't want to coat the entire egg with wax if you do this because the egg shell is porous and it needs to breathe. Going into lockdown I would not do this, but this is always an option. I don't think it would hurt, I just don't think it is necessary at this point. I'd think if bacteria is going to get in, it is already there.

Obviously this is not a desired position to be in, but I think they still have a chance. Good luck!!!!

pop.gif
will be waiting to see outcomes! good luck!

well....thanks for letting us know the outcome. i'm so sorry about the cracked eggs. i hope you get some frizzles too! they are adorable!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom