Eggs... Falling out?

bgitta

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2022
Hi folks. I have two Easter eggers that are about a year old. I can't tell which is doing what but I've noticed that one of them keeps skipping laying an egg for the day. Also two or three times I've seen one of them lay an egg while roosting for the night - it's almost like it just falls out while she's up on her perch. They're almost always thin and soft shelled when this happens too, so they break on impact with the floor. Are my chickens okay?

Hi folks. I have two Easter eggers that are about a year old. I can't tell which is doing what but I've noticed that one of them keeps skipping laying an egg for the day. Also two or three times I've seen one of them lay an egg while roosting for the night - it's almost like it just falls out while she's up on her perch. They're almost always thin and soft shelled when this happens too, so they break on impact with the floor. Are my chickens okay?
Common for soft shelled eggs to be dropped from the roost.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

When chickens lay soft shell eggs it’s usually a sigh that they need more calsium😊 do they have access to shells?
How long has they been laying?
We're doing a feed that says it has included oyster shell for calcium, but would it be a good idea to set up a separate feeder with more shell? The EEs gave us maybe one or two eggs in the fall but started regularly laying at the end of winter. Thank you for your reply and help!

We're doing a feed that says it has included oyster shell for calcium, but would it be a good idea to set up a separate feeder with more shell? The EEs gave us maybe one or two eggs in the fall but started regularly laying at the end of winter. Thank you for your reply and help!
You should definitely add some shells to the side, some hens need more calsium than others. They are quite new to the whole egg laying thing so it’s not uncommon to see a shell less egg once in a while. But I would suggest setting up a feeder for shells and try to see it that would work😊

Common for soft shelled eggs to be dropped from the roost.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
We're feeding a later crumble that says it has oyster in it, they also get treats once in a while that are mostly veggies or mealworms and other protein.

You should definitely add some shells to the side, some hens need more calsium than others. They are quite new to the whole egg laying thing so it’s not uncommon to see a shell less egg once in a while. But I would suggest setting up a feeder for shells and try to see it that would work😊
Will do! We had provided shells when they first started, but then I saw they were included in their feed so I backed off, but I'll definitely set it up again. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom