Eggs Layed today, 1 tiny

miwin1000

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
These are the eggs I gathered today. Usually I get 2 (I have 4 hens). Yesterday, I got one that was lighter than the others, weaker, and grainy. I'm thinking since they were sick, Only 2 were laying, and now the other 2 are just coming back. The one weak egg has always been...(from which hen I don't know.) NOW, this tiny egg with paper shell. I opened it and it smelled very much ammonia. Here are the pix.

How old are birds?
You said 'just coming back'...from a molt?

If one hen has always had a 'weak' egg(need more details there),
then she may have some kind of infection/malformation.

The birds are all just coming back from being sick with some kind of ailment that hit them all. I did medicate them, eradicated all parasites inside and out, cleaned the coop, and yard. I believe she has a malformation of some kind. The other one that lays weak eggs, well, I just don't know about her. I've upped their calcium and nutrition content, feed organic feed and fresh soaked grains and legumes, I really don't know what to think. I'm planning on getting a new batch this March so, I'll have egg production again next fall hopefully. For now, I just have to live on 2 eggs a day.

yes, the two egg problems were before the illness. the treatment was duramax10 and ivermectin then wazine a few weeks later. Gave them all a flea bath to rid of external parasites. they have all made remarkable recovery, but the two still have problems. One hen (the most consistent layer) just tonight got attacked by a big stray dog so she's re-cooping for a few days. I hope she pulls thru. her tail got broken. We'll see what the morning brings. It might just be time for me to let the yard rest and start again in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom