Eggs or chicks? Which would you buy and why

15shenyl

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 14, 2012
Yakima Washington
I didn't really know where to start this thread but...

I was wondering if I were going to breed and sell eggs or chicks, what would you prefer to buy, eggs or chicks, and why. Thanks for responding.

Chicks to start off because you can pick the sex. I hatched quite a few eggs and had more roosters than hens. It was really hard to find homes for them all. After that I decided on chicks, it ends up being cheaper in the long run sometimes.

this is actually a really good question its one i have wondered awhile. and you asked ata great time for me cause this is going to be my first year of breeding so i am following this to see what people say.

I usually like live, because we usually purchase from our local auction. We bought some goose eggs once that were advertised to be fertile Embden eggs. When hatched and eventually grew up, we had some Africans.
Even with young ones it can be hard. Haven't had much bad luck with chickens, but we bought some "Rouen" ducks that grew up into Swedish.

At least with chicks, if I have 15 healthy chicks, I have 15 chicks. If I buy 15 eggs, I might not get 15 chicks, especially with things like geese. I love the thrill of hatching eggs, but live is in many ways more convenient.

Well I started out with live myself, but after a while I decided that hatching my own eggs would be much more exciting, and it really is. Not to mention my boys are also as excited as I am. Just give eggs a try, but if you are just starting out, going with live first will really help. I went with Cackle Hatchery out of Lebanon, Mo for my day old BR's. Fortunately I live about an hour away from them and I can tell you that they are a very proffessional hatchery, and not a large one either. Definently small town types and very friendly. Would go back and they also ship to the lower 48. Just look them up online if interested, they have a very large selection of day old chicks and other fowl.

I would want chicks first because you can make sure you have everything you need when you are starting out. With eggs, you have to make sure you have everything for both eggs and chicks..that may get overwhelming for me!!

Back
Top Bottom