Eggs tasteless, odd texture, and thin shells.

I forgot to add, I had an egg today that had normal whites and a more yellow yolk, which leads me to believe it's just 2-3 of the chickens.

I have a RIR, a barred rock, and 3 moyerchicks "brown egg layer" mixes. We had issues with another moyer's hen who laid double yolkers constantly and kept prolapsing her self. After a few times we culled her because she was just miserable in pain.

Im against feeding chickens egg shells. I know lots of people do it dont have any trouble but a) you have to make sure that the egg shells are no longer recognizable as egg shells and b) if you have any disease in your flock, its a good way to spread it fast. I know one person who bakes the egg shells first to disinfect them, but that and grinding up the shells seems like a whole lota trouble. Oyster shells are cheap.

I also had wrinkled eggs and was worried about bronchitis,I have feed back shells all smashed up but did not think about any diease they could carry,guess I won`t do that anymore.I do have a couple hens that cough once in a great while but no other signs of anything.

I had a few of my older hens lay what I call "pasty eggs".. when they were hard boiled the whites had a weird pasty texture to them.. not really sure how else to describe it.. but they were not the standard hard whites.. the shells were so thin that I accidentally put my finger through one when I picked it up
We culled those hens and never had a problem with any of the others producing bad eggs. I really didn't see any reason to try to alter their diet since both of the hens were almost 4 years old and were only laying a couple eggs each week.

Back
Top Bottom