eggs that are smoosh when layed by my hen!!!

Tsagirl

Songster
12 Years
Dec 9, 2007
Springfield,OR
OK here is the synopsis:

My hen is 5 months old and has started laying eggs very well for a week. Then all of a sudden her eggs that she lays are ones with a very smooshy shell!! 3 days later(today)I went out and found a egg with just a thin sheet that looks like a shell around it!! What is wrong with my hen??!?!

She is getting fed layer pelets and rolled corn and of course anything else to be found in the yard like bugs and stuff. I feed nothing else. She is the only laying hen and we have other chickens with her(silkes,frizzles and a couple of standards that are not old enough yet to lay)

Please help! I hope she is ok?!

:eek:

I just got oster shell and hope that helps!

Thank you for your site! Very informative!

cross your fingers for my hen "Stripy"

Yes, oyster shell is good, sometimes I would give my layers milk. They come running!
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

New layers often lay unusual eggs until they're system gets used to laying eggs. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

An added note: Typically oyster shell supplements are not required until after their first year of laying as long as they are on proper layer rations. The reason being is that older hens have a harder time metabolizing nutrients and will extract calcium from their bones to use to form egg shells.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom