eggs to incubate that are out in the cold.

dobbinsemail

Hatching
Apr 7, 2015
i hear that eggs need to be stored at 60-70 degrees, but it is cold out side how does that work? if the eggs are out side at night can i assume that they are not fertile any more? Do i have to wait till it is warmer at night?

How cold is it at night? They can go down to freezing and be ok. It isn't ideal. Colder than freezing and I would not set them. Why are they in the coop at night? Is collecting them before bedtime not an option?

i can collect them before bed but i heard 60-70f is the the only safe temp... i collect them ever day of two these days but i can do better.... it is not freezing probably 36 at the lowest and not for long. also it is on its way up in temp

Your hatch results won't be quite as good if eggs are chilled below 45 for too long. The yolk gets thicker and lumpier and when the chick absorbs it at the end of incubation it needs to be soft and liquid. Just pop an egg in the freezer for an hour then let it warm up, crack it open and take a look.

I set quite a few almost frozen turkey eggs last year and had about a 50% growth rate. And of those that grew, few hatched without issues.

ok thanks i think then if i collect them before dark each day, they should be ok. Its in the 50s during the day.

Back
Top Bottom