Eggs under broody hen - nest box 30" above floor

Maeser

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Our nest boxes are approx. 30" off the floor. For the first time, I have a broody hen setting on a clutch of eggs. What happens when the chicks hatch and need to get out to food and water? The floor is deep litter shavings. There is no ramp to the nest box, just roosts. Do I leave them to make their way out? Will the fall injure them? Should I move them to a nest on the floor after the hatch? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Many a chick has hatched in the hay loft of a barn, a lot farther above the ground floor than that, and they have done just fine jumping down. Once they get down, the mama should cover them wherever they gather, or wherever she calls them to gather. They should make a new nest in the litter.

If you choose to set them down, I'd probably wait til the second day, or after they have all hatched. The mama won't usually take them out to eat and drink right away; they do have that yolk to live on for a couple of days.

Be sure you remove any layer feed once they've hatched. The rest of the flock will be fine on the chick starter you have for the chicks.

Yeah, sad to say, but mine just make the fall and meet up on the floor.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom