eglu coop

ShrekDawg

Chicken Fan Club President
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
does anyone know if the eglu chicken coop is any good? they have multiple colors and it comes with a run and food and water dishes and stuff. you can get it with or without chickens. the chickens it comes with are 2 Gingernut Ranger hens. you can find eglu at www.mypetchicken.com i was wondering if this coop is any good. we have a doghouse that we use instead to put stuff in because my dog doesn't like it. i was thinking of turning that into a coop but i think it may be too small. i don't yet have chickens but hope to get some soon. thanks.

I would make a real coop. Two chickens will never be enough, make a nice size coop or at least get the chicken barn, it is bigger. you can get it from my pet chicken as well. You can also make your own run for it. I dont think that the igloo is worth it and you can build a lot bigger one for just as much. Check out the coop design link at the top of the page, you will find a fitting coop, or check out http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html they have many small coops. If you get a small coop think about where you are only going to get two chickens.

thanks. i might try that. the eglu comes with the chickens like i said. but that may be small and thats not the breed i wanted. i kind of wanted rhode island reds and barred rocks. maybe like 3 or 4 hens. i will try to get pics of the dog house that i wanted to turn into a coop. thanks.
big_smile.png

I like the Eglu. I have one hen in it now, soon two. It's compact and predator-proof. Very sturdy, too. I think that four hens (not too large) in it is feasible, if you let them out now and then. The problem is that once you get a few chickens, you'll want more!

What I really would like is the Eglu Cube, but it's only available in the UK. Shoot.

Barred Rocks are wonderful. If that's what you want, definitely get them! You can get the Eglu without any chickens at all from My Pet Chicken. I notice that McMurray has Eglus, too.

Susan

THE DOG HOUSE IS A GOOD IDEA. DONT FORGET TO ADD A LOCKABLE DOOR ON IT. IT WOULD COST A LOT CHEAPER THE THE IGLOO.

thanks for your help guys. i will try to get pic of the doghouse. i don't have chickens now but hope to get some soon. thanks guys.

I purchased my eglu a few years ago so price wasn't as high. It was easy to assemble - I did it myself on a sultry summer afternoon and I have NO DIY skills. It's not perfect but it works better than the previous henspa and previous chick-n-hut. The plastic is easy to clean and no crevices for mites. The chick-n-hut got heavily infested and after weeks of deadly chemicals I hit tilt and bought the eglu. It is somewhat heavy when dragging but I can move it by myself & the skirt keeps out predators since my yard is uneven. The henspa pen would often have big gaps between ground and base. There isn't wood to warp from rain - problem with both previous houses. I live in Philadelphia area, the heat & humidity in summer means warping and insect issues. I only keep 2 birds - plenty of room inside and in run. During the winter I move the entire unit into the garage. Instead of old cars on blocks in my backyard, I have chicken housing that failed. At least I've been able to reuse some parts and pieces from previous purchases.

Back
Top Bottom