Egyptian Fayoumis Thread!

Pics
I am researching this breed to get as it's a smaller breed. However, I've had 2 Lavender Ameraucanas who fly and I just clipped one wing. Presto! No more flying. If I got EF's I'd probably clip their wings too. But maybe they'd be smart enough not to fly over the DOG fence -- LOL!

The more I watch the birds, the more I am inclined to just let them fly. I figure if they can get over the fence, they can get back over again if a predator comes by. So far this has worked for me. The downside is if you have a hen that wants to lay eggs anywhere besides the nest box...then you have to go hunting for eggs.

Last edited:
I didn't really mind my EE flying over the fence into the woods & back again. But the first place the Ameraucanas flew was INTO the dog yard, where the dogs were MORE than happy to try to kill them. Hence the clipped wings.

Yeah, if there's a dog waiting on the other side, they are pretty much gonners in that case. We had excellent results just clipping 1 wing as well, instead of both. We clipped the first 10 flight feathers of 1 wing, and left the rest alone.

Not sure why my other response isn't showing up. My yard borders another (vacant) lot that is lower than ours and my chicken run fence borders that so I'm afraid if they did make it out and down there it would be way too high for them to get back up. If it had acreage instead of having under an acre I would be much more apt to just let them fly but unfortunately that's not the case at the moment so I'm trying to keep them in the yard. Plus we have dogs and the neighbors have dogs and cats, and there are a lot of predators in the area so I would rather not risk losing my girls if at all possible. I plan to clip on side of their wings (at least the ones I'm worried about escaping) how old do they have to be before it's safe to do so?

Hi everyone, I just found this thread; Figured out that my MurrayMcMurray mystery chick is an EF, no doubt a male. He's only six days old, so lots of time to see how he fits into my group. Never planned to order this breed, but who knows, maybe I'll fall in love... Mary

I love my little EF girl from MMM, she doesn't like to be handled but she is so full of personality. Good luck with yours!

Hey guys I need a little advice. My fayoumi doesn't seem to be herself today, as fayoumi owners I'm sure you know how active they are as a breed. Today mine seems to be sleeping/laying down more than normal. Usually when I bring treats into the pen all of my chickens come to get some but today everyone but her came to get their mealworms. She does get up and run from me when I walk over to her but she was actually laying in the coop instead of outside when I went out to check on them around 11am. She is almost three months old so maybe she is starting to feel the change of maturity coming? My roo has been laying next to her pretty much all day. Also the only other changes that have happened in the last few days is that the temp outside has been wonky. I live in Az and it was in the high 80's low 90's range and then yesterday is was cold, rainy and really windy all day, so maybe the temperature fluctuation threw her off? Also the run has a bunch of big red ants in it today, so maybe she tried one and got zapped? She ate her fermented feed this morning with everyone else and I did manage to get her to take a small treat from my hand. I didn't feel any crop issues and everything else on her looked normal, and she did still put up a fuss when I held her and then she went and pecked at a few pieces of oatmeal when I put her down, before laying down with the rooster again. She will occasionally peck at the ground a bit while laying there but is mostly just looking like she is falling asleep. I'm worried and hopefully just being paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom