Egyptian Fayoumis Thread!

Pics
Sounds like you have a pair. Fayoumis mature very quickly and combs grow quickly. Males are soon obvious. They can crow very early also.

I love my fayoumis

So...I'm still wondering if Fayoumis lay closer to 300 eggs or 100. Will they lay eggs in a nest box if they free range or will they hide their eggs in the woods?

They will roost in the trees and become owl food. They will like eggs everywhere but the barn. Maybe 100 eggs a year, and small. They would have no trouble avoiding a dog if they have trees around. They can hustle up their own feed. I used to keep them. Not a really practical breed, their real purpose was to breed disease resistance and early maturation into commercial flocks.

They will roost in the trees and become owl food. They will like eggs everywhere but the barn. Maybe 100 eggs a year, and small. They would have no trouble avoiding a dog if they have trees around. They can hustle up their own feed. I used to keep them. Not a really practical breed, their real purpose was to breed disease resistance and early maturation into commercial flocks.

THANK YOU! This is exactly what I was afraid of. If my free ranging attempt goes badly I might get some since they will at least probably survive and find most of their own food. The good news (although I hate to say it that way) is that my neighbor's bird-killer dog was hit by a car and killed since I first planned on getting this breed (It wasn't me!). Now I am far more likely to be able to free range one of my other breeds.

Looks like I might be able to keep the little cockerel that I have if he isn't going to fight with anyone. The issue that I have is that he is my only one. Can I breed him in with my white bantam pullets? I have one that is white with black legs, not sure if it's a bantam or a white OEG pullet at this point. But I have plenty of snowy white bantam sized pullets. Only 1 small bantam sized rooster (White) and he also has black legs. But now that I know what I have I am pretty sure I will have to eep him and put him in a cage where he wont fly away. Just found out tonight what he was. Luckily folks in here know the different breeds. I thought he was an odd looking OEG lol. He is now 4 months old. Has been crowing way over a month.

This is him at 2 months old on the roost in the big coop and he just keeps changing colors:

Last edited:
Our Egyptians are like the gansters of the yard. They are dominant and clickish. They are prone to leaving the yard so we keep thier wings clipped. They are great foragers and if I leave the compost bin open, they will spread it all over the yard. Despite this they are beautiful and wild birds. They are

and will make a lot of noise if anything steps in the yard.

Can anyone tell me if the EF Roosters can get along with a 2nd Roo and can they deal with cold weather? I got at straight run of Wyandottes from McMurray and the free chick was an EF, roo of course. The plan was to choose the best W. Roo and the others would go to the freezer and we would have our little family of approximately 10 chickens. What I didn't expect was falling in love with Red, so named because of his red head as a chick - he was the only one we could identify out of the 21. We free range and he is absolutely the bravest, most alert, most protective etc etc etc that anyone could hope to have. These are my first ever chickens and now at 5 months we are taking out the roos. We won't harvest Red, he's way too special, but we choose Wyandottes specifically for dual Egg/Meat production and Cold Hardiness, so Red can't produce that for us. It gets below 0 several times in the winter with a couple of months lows in the single digits with high's in the 20's or 30's. I plan on just keeping him until it doesn't work, either not being able to share 9 hens with another roo or not being able to handle the cold. (they have an excellent house for at night but free range all day) Open to suggestions or info from folks who have experience with this breed, regarding cold tolerance and other roo tolerance. Photo is at 18 weeks, he turned 20 weeks old yesterday, along with all the others. We will never let roos get this old again before harvesting but this first batch we had to let them get big enough to determine looks & personalities. Anyway, thanks in advance for any comments or ideas!

Going to try starting my Fayoumis cross line. I want to cross them into my mixed breed flock to work with disease resistance breeding.
My Fayoumis hen is laying eggs in a hidden nest I found,so I'm going to leave it and see if she goes broody and hatches them
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom