Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Standard

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both / don't care

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
They are a good choice for a free range bird. They forage and fly well and are very independent. They also loud and flighty.

They are the closest thing to having wild chickens. They speak their own language to each other. I have 3 hens and when the last hen gets out of coop she will actually call the other two and when she finds them she will commence cackling and run towards them, take off and fly a good 10 metres.. reminds me of a Roadrunner! Have fun! We just love them! :)

All my chickens are free range, so flighty will not be a problem. Also, we live pretty far away from anyone else so I don't mind if they are loud. I have heard that they are "predator proof" do you know anything about this?

Predator proof is a bit of an exaggeration. No chicken is predator proof. Though during the day they are the least likely to be eaten. They are smart active birds that again do fly quite well. If a cat got into my yard Isis my Fayoumis would fly on top of the house squawking her head off. She was my cat alarm. I and all of my neighbors instantly knew that there was an uninvited guest in our yard.

My kids had a few for showing in 4-H. Our experience was that they were "wilder" then other breeds that we have owned. I loved that the roosters would start trying to crow at such a young age. We had two roosters, and at 6 months they were challenging and fighting each other and our older roosters. We ended up butchering the two roosters. I was quite pleased at how much meat they had, especially for a smaller breed. They also had an excellent flavor. The hens started laying right about 6 months, and laid pretty consistently once they got started. We went ahead and sold the hens, mainly because of lack of space. They are a very unique and pretty breed. We had many compliments on them as well. We enjoyed raising ours, and while we didn't keep them it was a great experience. I hope that you enjoy your experience with them as well!
love.gif

We had them for a few years in with our goats, in a huge field with a guard dog. They did great and we loved their beauty. The rooster would frequently fly over the fence and the children would have to catch him and throw him back over. One day he flew over while we were away from the farm and a predator got him.

Hi there! Do you have any eggs that you would sell me? I want to put them under my broody Rhode Island Red hens - looking to buy some very soon - thanks for any help you can offer - Elizabeth

Back
Top Bottom