Eight Week Old Easter Egger - Pullet or Cockerel?

Mouchie1961

In the Brooder
May 14, 2016
Eight week old easter egger, lowest on the pecking order, no red in the comb, and looks single pea comb so far. Have never seen this particular coloring, with black on the head, white and black on the neck and reddish brown on the body. Coloring looks like rooster, but nothing else points to rooster. What are your thoughts?

This ones a toughie. I don't see extra peas on the comb or any color or size. I also don't see any of those red patches on the wings or saddle that EE cockerels are so famous for. So, I'm going to guess its a pullet for now. At 8 weeks old, I would expect some more color and size on the comb if it were a boy.

Eight week old easter egger, lowest on the pecking order, no red in the comb, and looks single pea comb so far. Have never seen this particular coloring, with black on the head, white and black on the neck and reddish brown on the body. Coloring looks like rooster, but nothing else points to rooster. What are your thoughts?

It could go either way at this point. The comb makes me think pullet, but the tail feathers are huge for a pullet. So, I would repost pics in a couple weeks. If the comb gets larger and redder, it's definitely a cockerel.

Pullet. The red coloring is too pale for 'rooster' red, and is spread fairly evenly across the body, not patchy, like a rooster's red leakage, at all. And the comb is all pullet.

Back
Top Bottom