elderly Production Red health issue

oklip955

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 18, 2014
Hi, I have a 14 yo Production Red who layed up until last year. I noticed a month ago that she was having ballencing issues on the roost. She stopped going up at night and is now having problems maintaining her ballence while walking or standing. I've wormed her with Wazine with no improvement. She has had very loose pop for the last year. I took her to OSU Vet med (Avian,Zoo, Exotic) and they did x Rays and lab. She is low on Calcium and Protein and has Osteoprosis due to age and the amount of eggs she has layed over 13 yrs. She is now in my shop in a dog kennel and on Calcium suppliment and Manoxicam. OSU is out of ideas, she goes back on Wed for a follow up. Anyone have any ideas. She takes a few steps and falls over but does get back on her feet.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I'd have the vet put her out of her misery.
She's pretty far beyond the normal life expectancy of a chicken.

The vets said that as long as she is eating and drinking and not in any pain or server discomfort to just let her be. Right now she is a large dog kennel in my shop. (lots of windows and ventilation and light and its near the hen house. She looks out the French doors and can see out in the yard and watch the outside wild birds. I'll decide tomarrow if she can return to the hen house in a small (4 x5 enclosure in the hen house) The vets will decide on her Calcium supliment schedule. Right now its twice a day in a piece of sponge cake. They were saying like she would go to once a week.

I took her to her vet apt this morning. She seemed stronger, they said that she seem more steedy on her feet. They said to continue her meds and to give her an omega 3 supliment once a day. She should be seen again in one month. She can go back in the coop (I have a seprate coop in the coop (4 by 5 ft) that she will stay in but will be seperate so that she is not knocked over by the others. I'm going to give her another week int he dog kennel in the shop so that she can regain her strength. I do let her out several times a day to walk around. The dog kennel is a large one and the windows are open so she does get good breeze.

Yeah well, I can barely afford to take my dog to the vet, certainly couldn't justify the expense for a chicken (which I raise for food, not pets).
Would be like taking the food out of my mouth twice......won't even start to crab about my own lack of medical care.

I know how difficult it is to endure the suffering of a those in our care.

A production red laying at 13 years is incredible...

I personally try to balance the quality of life vs longevity.

Just continue to keep your Red comfortable...

Back
Top Bottom