Elector PSP and Mites

CT Coop

Songster
10 Years
Feb 5, 2011
I posted a few weeks back in Emergencies, because I had a rooster with a severe infestation and my regular treatment was not working, so I spent $150 on the Elector PSP. My husband and I spent 3 hours spraying my 30 chickens between all the feathers and then the rest of the day cleaning the coops, removing the litter and spraying them down really well between all the cracks and crevices. I checked today (a few weeks later) and a few birds still have mites. My previous treatment had been Poultry Dust with Permethrin, but I applied that 3 times prior to getting the PSP and still found mites, so I assume they are resistant to that. What else can I do?

Ivermectin pour on for cattle is not approved for use in chickens... so egg withdrawal time has not been heavily studied..but it is very effective.. and used by many.

http://www.farad.org/publications/digests/122015EggResidue.pdf

file:///home/chronos/u-8dddc19ebe5a812af6d3c24d8816a73a75dad5e1/Downloads/LayingHensEggResidues.pdf

@casportpony do you know the dosing on that?

I prefer Permethrin spray over dust as it's easier to apply correctly for me.

One other alternative that is effective is adding sulfur to the dust bath. I don't know treatment levels on that and it worked at clearing lice and mite EVEN from the birds who didn't bathe in the studies I saw.

Hang in there! :fl

Any type of ivermectin can be used to tread lice and mites, it does not have to be pour on, but the pour on dose is:

No less than 0.05 ml per pound of body weight
No more than 0.1 ml per pound of body weight

Thank you! I do have Ivermectin, so if I can get the dosage from someone I will apply that. Do I have to apply that again after 10 days to get the mite eggs. I have been using the permethrin dust very effectively for 10 years, so my guess is that the mites are resistant to it. I have read that you should not use the same product over and over again, so I'm not sure the spray would be any more effective. I do sell my eggs, so I guess waiting 2 weeks should be sufficient?

Thank you! I do have Ivermectin,
Do you have the pour on or the injectable?

If pour on:
No less than 0.05 ml per pound of body weight
No more than 0.1 ml per pound of body weight

Ignore all posts that say to use drops, they are not accurate and you will probably end up under dosing if you use the drop method.

I give the injectable orally.

Minimum dose is 0.01 ml per pound of body weight
Max dose is 0.05 ml per pound of body weight (0.25 ml per five pounds - 1/4 cc or 1/4 ml)

I used the minimum dose once and it was not effective, so now I use the max dose which I found referenced by a veterinarian on a pigeon website.

Does that help?

Back
Top Bottom