Electric fence for raccoons?

On my packaging it states 1 joule and rated at 25 miles. When I stated 6500 v that was as high as my tester goes. It is one of the fence testers you hook onto the fence and push the probe into the ground. It could be much higher but the tester tops out at 6500 v.

My ground is a copper 8 foot ground rod with aluminum wiring that is ran three times around the coup and pen. Its probably a total of 300 to 350 feet for the three runs.. its not a long run but i wanted it to have a punch if something touches it. So far so good but its still early to tell.. I will keep you posted if my game camera catches anything...

my coup/ pen is entirely enclosed however it is only enclosed of chicken wire. I ran the skirt of the wire into the ground about 6 inches. My coup is entirely enclosed and even the eaves have hardware cloth covering up the eave openings. My intentions are to wrap the bottom in hardware cloth or some kind or 1 inch fencing.. something a predator cannot enter or tear into. The permiter is now protected by an electric fence wires of several heights. I am learning and this is my first project with guinea fowls in the country.

my coup/ pen is entirely enclosed however it is only enclosed of chicken wire.  I ran the skirt of the wire into the ground about 6 inches.  My coup is entirely enclosed and even the eaves have hardware cloth covering up the eave openings.  My intentions are to wrap the bottom in hardware cloth or some kind or 1 inch fencing.. something a predator cannot enter or tear into.  The permiter is now protected by an electric fence wires of several heights.  I am learning and this is my first project with guinea fowls in the country.

You are on the right track reinforcing the chicken wire. Keeping fowl of any kind can have a steep learning curve, and raccoons are some of the toughest, most determined predators to keep out. All the best to you and enjoy your new hobby! :)

On my packaging it states 1 joule and rated at 25 miles. When I stated 6500 v that was as high as my tester goes. It is one of the fence testers you hook onto the fence and push the probe into the ground. It could be much higher but the tester tops out at 6500 v.

My ground is a copper 8 foot ground rod with aluminum wiring that is ran three times around the coup and pen. Its probably a total of 300 to 350 feet for the three runs.. its not a long run but i wanted it to have a punch if something touches it. So far so good but its still early to tell.. I will keep you posted if my game camera catches anything...

Oh awesome! yeah it's probably just your tester than, 1 Joule will definitely give some juice to whatever tries to mess with it, haha!

Back
Top Bottom