electric fence that won't harm my dogs

Will your netting handle what it takes to offend a bear? As mentioned, stronger is much better than wimpy! And bait that fence, as also mentioned. This bear might be happy to kill your dogs, so the fence should protect them too. Call your DNR for advice, and look at Premier1supplies website also.
Mary

whoa this is amazing! so is that overkill do you think for a 164 foot fence? Is it where the more linear feet you add, the more juice you need or is the length irrelevant?
There is a point where things can be hot that aren't hooked to the fence or charger directly. Anything you find off the shelf local won't be in that range most likely.

another thought. if you store or keep food in coop (ever) or run at night remove it. the bear wants the food, not the birds. but they will take chase after birds once in the coop.
I don't know too much about bears wanting to eat chicken, but if putting the chickens food in a garage or sturdy shed isn't an option, I would suggest getting bear proof garbage cans. They have lids that have to be turned to get them off. My parents live in the Adirondack mountains in NY where they have black bears roaming their yards. They have had them for almost 10 years with only 1 incident where the bear knocked it around for about an hour and the lid finally came off. They are expensive but once a bear knows there is a food source it will continue to come back. If a bear is hungry enough, it will do what it can to get to the food source that it is smelling at the time. I too suggest keeping the flocks food in a secure location at night and putting it back out during the day.

I live in southern Maine and our neighbor said there was a bear in our front yard this morning. The coop is inside a run in the backyard and I dont see that the bear was near to it. However, and I am brand new to chickens - dumb mistake! - I will be removing the crumbles from the coop at night. I did not realize bears might be attracted to it. I have the food stored in a steel can in the shed but maybe I should move it to the garage. I also usually let the hens outside during the day and they migrate from a few feet into the woods to sitting under a small weeping cherry right near the house. I guess they need to stay in for the time being as well. I do have two dogs but not sure if that deters bears, they arent that big.

I have this question - the top of the run is uncovered - what should I put over it? (At night they are locked in a coop with a metal roof - though none of this set up is bear-proof far as I can tell.) I was more worried about hawks until this morning.

Welcome!
Electric fencing, with a strong charger, and baited at first, is what you need to deter bears! They do eat chickens too, and can break into just about anything is they want to.
Pictures of your yard and set-up will help here, and also contact your DNR for advice.
Adding your approximate location in your profile is also good.
No food outside! That includes BBQ grills, which shouldn't be near your house.
And find out about where to store feed and garbage cans.
For hawks, netting over the run works well. It won't deter any other predator though.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom