electric fence

RonB

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Woodinville
I know Electric fences have been discussed. I even did a search before making this post. BUT I can't really find the answer to my question. I bought a charger to put around my run. It says for dogs and small animals. I sure hope a raccoon is a small animal!.
Does any one know how many volts it should put out? I have a tester and it puts out 2,000 volts. my landlords fence for his cow puts out 7,000. I did read here were 3,500 to 5,000 was mention. I can't go too high because of the circuit breaker it is on.
It is about a foot off the ground and a foot below the top of the fence
Thanks for any help

What type of charger is it? Solar or plug in?
It should put out at less 7000 volts. I would guess mine puts out over 20000 volts, but I use mine for bear. My electric wizz son puts some goodies in mine to increase the out put. It will make you pay attention when working around it.

If it is not putting out the volts, you don't have it grounded properly or the area where the grounds are, are dry. And the ground under the wire must be kept wet. If thse things are right, you could have the wire touching the main fence or a blade of grass.

If all those things are right, your charger is defective.

The circuit breaker has nothing to do with the out put of the charger.

panner123
I think it is made to put out that much it is for dogs and small animals. I looked it up online. if you would like to take a look. it is a Fideo-shock. model # ss-750. I know you can buy all different sizes for all different animal. this model is made for small animals. just was wondering if 2,000 was enough of a shock for a raccoon? as far as the circuit breaker goes I know it doesn't have anything to do with the output of the charger. It is on a 20amp breaker with my hot water tank. I am drawing 17.5 amps with those two things now. don't want to go much higher. it is a plug in. It is grounded but I don't think this model needs to be grounded

Last edited:
The higher powered chargers dont really use much more electricity than the lower powered ones.

The difference is in the capacitors that build up the charge.

2000 volts should be plenty IF you have it grounded well.

And rather than "volts" look at the "juole" ratings.

I don't think this model needs to be grounded

ALL electric fences have to be grounded to work.​

Last edited:
Bear foot farm
Thanks
I don't know too much about electric fences. only what I read. on their website they had a couple of models that said they didn't need to be grounded. I only have about 80 ft of wire nothing even close to touching it I put a tester on it and it read 2,000 thanks again guys !!

My Fi-Shock puts out 2,300 to 2,500 constant state and I have two 4-foot ground rods sunk for it. It WORKS. It's an older horse model.

I also have a Zebra 5 mile pulsed that puts out about 3k, 5k and 9.9k (in pulses) and I'm not really happy with it. Sometimes it works, sometimes you touch between pulses and it doesn't work. Supposedly it'll shock the bejeezus out of you (9.9k is as high as my tester reads!) but there's a reason that I got the constant state box instead. I used the same ground rods with it, and I've also just used a simple tent post stake and I couldn't test any difference on the meter.

Model: SS-750 Has an intermittent output current. Fused panel offers protection against power surges. Uses two 1/16 amp time-delay fuses. One year limited warranty. UPC Code: 0-17051-40750-4 Range: Up to 1 mile under ideal conditions Input Voltage: 110-120 VAC, 60 Hz, .035 amp, 10 W Output Voltage: 800 V +/- 20% open circuit voltage, intermittent AC output.

I guess if you're getting 2,000 volts out of it then you are doing good.

I sunk my ground rods near my a/c unit because it keeps the ground wet during the heat of the summer - just beware of any underground wires/pipes before you go driving rods.​

Ron, here are a couple of sites to check out, afence.com and zarebasystems.com Both of these places helped me when I was having problems with my fence.

Tala I don't use a constant type charger because of the out put I am useing. With a constant type
my younger grand childern would not be able to get off the fence and they would die. with the pluse type they are kicked off. Needless to say, they only get shocked once. When a bear touches the fence a half mile out, you can hear it like you are standing next to it.

I have watched a bear come up to the fence and see how close it can get. It is like they can feel the electric curent going though the wire.

As they will tell you at the afence site, don't mess with the inside of the controller, it will kill you. I know I wouldn't have ever opened it up, but the son gets paid by his company to play tricks with electric gismos.

Quote:
Most important thing... don't touch it!
gig.gif

While painting my chicken house, I bumped into mine. Thought a snake had bitten me. We have a big one. Have three acres fenced for goats. Knocked the fire out of me.
rant.gif

panner123

I'm not really having trouble with my fence (yet) I tested it yesterday after setting it up. I got a reading of 2,000 volts. I was just wondering if that was enough to get a raccoons attention. my landlords puts out 7,000 for his cows

Julie_A
Now ya tell me!! I was looking for a snake too LOL. I have bumbed into the fence for the cows several times this summer

THANKS TO ALL for your response

ps, I got my first egg today:lol:

Quote:
Fence chargers use surprisingly little electricity. There's virtually no amperage in the output, so I can't really see a circuit breaker being an issue..

I don't have an example of another applice we can compare it to directly (i.e., "if you can run a light bulb....") but Zareba's 50mi low impedence charger uses about 5kwh/month according to their website.. At $0.085/kwH, that's about $0.30/month.

I mean...how much juice could something use if it only costs you 30 cents a month?

Back
Top Bottom