Electric poultry fence gate question

hayley3

Free Ranging
16 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I have my poultry fence set up but I needed a gate and I bought some metal fence panels and they work well for getting in and out, but when I am not at home, I wanted to electrify the metal gate and was wondering if I attach the lead from the fence to the metal gate panel if it would electrify the metal gate too?

I have my poultry fence set up but I needed a gate and I bought some metal fence panels and they work well for getting in and out, but when I am not at home, I wanted to electrify the metal gate and was wondering if I attach the lead from the fence to the metal gate panel if it would electrify the metal gate too?
Replying to my own question...I called Premier Fence and they said no it won't work. But they want me to buy a poultry net gate, which I don't want to do, because it's a different size than my fencing.

Right. You can't electrify the metal gate
My gates are made from 1/2" HC attached to pressure treated wood frames hanging on wood posts. They are not hot. I jump the current under the gates with lead out wire.
This is a gate. Having them swing out is a good idea for the conditions shown.
IMG_20201217_080422408.jpg

Right. You can't electrify the metal gate
My gates are made from 1/2" HC attached to pressure treated wood frames hanging on wood posts. They are not hot. I jump the current under the gates with lead out wire.
This is a gate. Having them swing out is a good idea for the conditions shown.
Wow that is a little bit of snow you have there. :lau
What do you mean you jump the current under the gates? I'm guessing you have electric fence on both sides? My gate is at the end and I'm afraid a dog will find the gate instead of the fence first. I'm just thinking of worst case scenarios. My neighbor's pit bull got loose and thankfully it went over the other fence and not mine...but sadly attacked the mail-person.

My gate is at the end
I'm not sure what this looks like. I was envisioning a total circle or square of electric netting or electric fencing with a gate in the middle of one side so you could go in or out. This sounds more like part of the run is not electrified. It could really help here if we knew what the electric netting or fence looks like and what your overall layout is.

I don't have a good overall shot to show what I have, even this scale makes it hard to show detail. My coop is at the near end of this shed. I have a 12' x 32' main run built out from the coop. The electric netting takes off from the side of the shed and makes a three sided enclosure, finishing up at the far end of the main run. The shed and main run are not hot. The way I access the inside of my electric netted area is to go into the shed through doors, go through my coop, and out from the main run through a gate.

General.JPG

GO Area.JPG

There may be a way to electrify a gate depending on what you have to work with. You might need a switch to shut the power off so you can use that gate. Or you may be able to build a gate that the dog cannot get under, over, or through.

I wanted to electrify the metal gate and was wondering if I attach the lead from the fence to the metal gate panel if it would electrify the metal gate too?
If you do this you have to be able to electrically insulate the gate from whatever is your electric ground. With electric netting the soil is going to be your electric ground. With an electric fence that can be set up different ways, we'd need to know what you are working with. With what you have that may not be feasible but I don't know what you are working with. Building a dog-proof gate may be the better option. At least that way it wont matter if you forget to turn the electricity on.

Yeah I should've included a picture.
Poultry fence 2.jpg

The black panel on the right swings open so I can go inside. The coop is the area to the right which has new wood paneling. I'm taking a picture from underneath the garage porch and you can see the gray is the garage. And I think you are right, a dog proof gate may be my best option.

Last edited:
With electric netting the soil is going to be your electric ground. Any part of the gate touching the soil will ground the whole system out. Wood does not conduct electricity but water does. I haven't tried this but maybe put a wooden sill under the gate to raise it up so it is not grounded and attach your lead. A 4" x 6" sill should stop things from digging under. I'd think anything that tried to dig under would investigate the gate with its nose and get shocked. Any supports would have to not ground it out either.

That gate isn't very tall is it. I was thinking of building a tall frame around it to increase the height but I don't think you could open the gate and walk through if you did that.

Your gate post and connection doesn't look that strong to me. I don't think it would slow that pit bull down that much. I'd want a stronger post and connection.

Back
Top Bottom