Electricity cost questions about incubators----110 vrs 220

Here is another way to look at it, at least in our northern climate.

Our primary heat for the house is propane which is at $1.90 per gallon (210 gallons last month). At the current cost of electricity, electric heat is cheaper. The incubator is in the house and is using electricity as a heat source. Heat escaping from the incubator is helping heat the house, meaning a reduction in the propane bill which is greater than the increase in the elctrical bill. So I'm saving money by running the incubator
big_smile.png

So maybe I had better get another incubator going!
tongue.png

So, if you run it for one
hour you use 5KW hour (5000 watt/one hour). With electric rates high ($.19 kw) here,
running our dryer costs $1 per hour. That's a lot if you run it 2 hours a day.

quote]

your electric is cheap compared to ours. Here where I live it is .798 KW. our electric bill doubled in 1 month.
I do know this if I dry my clothes outside in the spring and summer my bill goes down to about 60.00 a month right now it is almost 200 a month I cut back on using the dryer and it went down 50.00 dollars. but I wash and dry clothes everyday at leat 3-4 loads. (kids & hubby fooling with his girls in their coop ) makes alot of dirty clothes and towels

Electricity is expensive! Our electricity bill per 2 months is in the 1-2K range... year round due to heating and cooling. What does help out a bit is to hang dry all the clothes and just toss in the dryer for 10 min to fluff them back up.

Quote:
If heating with electricity, your bill will be more, but you dont get the 600+ fuel bill, to go with your 250 electric bill.

Regardless of what type of heat you use, gas oil etc...nothing is cheap anymore.

After reading through all the responses, I find it interesting that no one has mentioned that the manufacturers and/or distributors generally state that the 220v units are "available for export", rather than being intended for sale in the US.

Double R adds this little disclaimer regarding the 220v units:
NOTICE REGARDING 220 VOLT INCUBATION AND BROODING EQUIPMENT Due to the vast variety of plugs required for various locations around the world, 220 volt / 50 Hz incubation / brooding may shipped without plugs attached or supplied. It is the buyer's responsibility to supply and connect the appropriate plug for their own location.

Seems like a hassle if you're in the US.​

Quote:
Whoa... Something is way off here.

Propane @ 1.90 per gallon???? That is cheap. Are you sure???
What is your electric KW cost????

1 gallon of propane contains 92000 btu's of heat
1 KW of electricity is 3400 btu's
Electric heat is usually more efficient than propane but it is very rarely cheaper.

I doubt your assumption that propane heat is more expensive than electric heat.
Without knowing your KW rate and the type of heating system you have I
can't be sure.

You are correct about the incubator. It actually is helping heat your house.
Let's do the math:
Assuming your bator is 50 watts then it is producing 170 btus (max) per hour.
(Assuming the heater is always on - It isn't but let's just use this)
After running for 541 hours (22.5 days) your bator causes you to use 1 less
gallon of propane. So, if you set up 200 bators you can heat your house and
feed your town. SOunds good to me.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Silkie I'm surprised at you. It won't be on half as much it will just be using half the
amperage. Either way a watt is a watt.

If anyone is still following this thread then here it is:

Ohms Law states Wattage = Voltage times Current

So 120 volts @ 1 amp is 120 watts or 240 volts @ .5 amps is still 120 watts.

Wattage is the amount of energy. Voltage is pressure. Amperage (current) is
the amount of electricity flowing through a wire.

Compare it to water. If I double the water pressure to your kitchen sink you
will need to turn the faucet on much less to get the same amount of water
to flow.

Back
Top Bottom