Elevated nesting box

Cuddles11

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
Good morning fabulous chicken peeps!

I have a beautiful golden phoenix (Ginny) who is currently brooding four eggs. The eggs are due to hatch any day now, and she is being such a good mommy! My problem is the location of the nesting boxes: we located them about 3.5' off the floor of the coop so the chickens would feel secure with less fear of predators attacking while they were laying. Now that the eggs are about to hatch, I envision the tiny chicks hopping on the 1" high opening of the nesting box and plummeting onto the coop floor below. Should I move the chicks after they hatch? Will that keep Ginny from "mothering" them if they leave the sanctity of the box? I am willing to build a ledge below the box if that is what it takes; I just do not want the wee bitty chicklets to tumble out. The first picture is Ginny sitting, and the second shows how high the boxes are from the ground. The pallet gives a general idea of its height. Any thoughts?

first week I wouldn't worry to much but I still would build that step...or transfer her to new box on floor..

Hello, I'm having the same issue now. I'm hoping moving them will not make Ms. Mean Butt not lose the motherly touch, she is the matriarch. They are due to start hatch today, but I don't see anything yet. Since she is that way, will it be safe to move her to a floor nest?

Spread some straw or an old blanket on the flloor for cushion for when they jump out, or manually remove them from the nest after they all hatch. My chicks jump out of 4 ft high nest boxes, bounce a few times then start doing chicken business. The hen & chicks won't return to the nest but will sleep on the floor in the corner each night until they get old enough to roost. At that time you can install a ladder, ramp, or lower roost bars to assist them in reaching the roost.

Back
Top Bottom