Ello :)

AllyBee

Hatching
Apr 7, 2015
Maryland, US
I joined a few months ago, but have not introduced myself. I'm Ally! I live in MD with two dogs, four cats, a bearded dragon, and five chickens. Oh, and my husband, Joe. :)
I have two Red Stars, two RIRs, and a Wyndotte mix of sorts adopted chicken. Things have been going well with them, i got them in May. Laying well, no problems so far *knocks on wood*. And I guess I placed my coop in just the right spot, where it gets daylight alllllll day, because I am still getting no less than four eggs a day, in December. Or maybe its because its their first year? I havent looked that one up yet.
Does anyone know how much these breeds are supposed to weigh?
I really enjoy having chickens. I love getting the eggs and just watching them peck around the yard.
I look foward to reading more articles and posting more. :D

Welcome to BYC! :welcome

It sounds like you have lovely hens. To answer your question; often in the first year hens will continue to lay through the winter if they are not moulting - especially in egg laying breeds such as Red Stars.

In regards to how much they should weigh, it's hard to say. Cross breeds such as Red Stars and your Wyandotte mix have no set ideal weight because they are not pure and therefore not consistent through generations.
Rhode Island Reds do have set ideal weights - on average they should lay a bit less then 6.5 pounds (2.9 kilograms) for hens.

But as long as your birds are healthy and eating well you shouldn't be concerned!

ETA : Just saw your second post, you have beautiful hens!

Last edited:
Thank you! They are great chickens. Ii did have to trim their floght feathers on one wing, because they kept flying over my fence, and I live in town, haha :rolleyes: My chicken yard isnt where i want it to be, however. I still need to paint my coop, get my fire pit out of the middle, and plant a garden around it with some shrubs for shade in the summer. But, I can only do so much at one time. Haha. I'm motivated though and it will get done in the spring.

Thank you! They are great chickens. Ii did have to trim their floght feathers on one wing, because they kept flying over my fence, and I live in town, haha :rolleyes: My chicken yard isnt where i want it to be, however. I still need to paint my coop, get my fire pit out of the middle, and plant a garden around it with some shrubs for shade in the summer. But, I can only do so much at one time. Haha. I'm motivated though and it will get done in the spring.

I had to trim my Polish flight feathers because she decided that she wanted to sleep on top of an eight foot bush instead of in the coop!

Back
Top Bottom