Emaciated Ducks

Peppypap

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
Dallas TX
Hello, I have just moved, and noticed some ducks at a lake near my house. When I took a closer look at them, I realized that they were dreadfully thin. Their chests sunk down low, and their torsos are painfully thin. There are about 4-5 black ducks, and one brownish one. The black ones are completley black, black legs, black beaks, black feathers, and the brown one looks a bit like a mallard female, with orange legs. I fed them some game bird food from the store, and on closer inspection I realized that their feathers are in terrible condition. They are broken off in some parts, and the down sticks through in some places. The ate very eagerly and ate from my hands. I am in Colorado, I don't know much about ducks, and it will be getting cold soon, so I would like to know what the best thing to do for them. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow, and if you could tell me what kinds of ducks they are that would be very nice. Thank you!!

Hello, I have just moved, and noticed some ducks at a lake near my house. When I took a closer look at them, I realized that they were dreadfully thin. Their chests sunk down low, and their torsos are painfully thin. There are about 4-5 black ducks, and one brownish one. The black ones are completley black, black legs, black beaks, black feathers, and the brown one looks a bit like a mallard female, with orange legs. I fed them some game bird food from the store, and on closer inspection I realized that their feathers are in terrible condition. They are broken off in some parts, and the down sticks through in some places. The ate very eagerly and ate from my hands. I am in Colorado, I don't know much about ducks, and it will be getting cold soon, so I would like to know what the best thing to do for them. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow, and if you could tell me what kinds of ducks they are that would be very nice. Thank you!!
The best thing you could do is round them up and put up a add trying to find them better homes. Game Bird feeder should be fine for now. If they are extremely thin you may try adding corn to fatten them up.

It sounds like someone dropped their et ducks there. The best thing to do for them is if you could house them at least over the winter, failing that, consistent food would help. Because they are able to free range, I would give them wheat, cracked corn, or scratch. If they are going to winter outside, they need to be in good condition going in.

If it were me I would take those babies home fatten them up and give them a warm place. I agree with Trefoil, sounds like they were pets that got dumped. Even wild birds that get feed by humans all the time don't normally take food from your hand.

I would love that you take them home and care for them. But, if they're in a city park, make sure you talk to the person in charge and find out how long they've been there. I wouldn't suggest removing them if they've been there a long time. But, definitely, continue feeding them until you are told not to.

As to what kind, the most common black duck is the Cayuga. The brown duck could be a Khaki Campbell or female mallard. You can go to google images and look at photos of these breeds and see if they match.

These ducks need not only food but appropriate shelter and predator protection. Two of the breeds I mentioned above have very limited flight capabilities (mallard can probably fly at least somewhat). If they are as friendly as you described, they have obviously been around people quite a bit, and as someone said are probably dumped pets. Pets rely more heavily on people for food than a wild duck and is not prepared to find its entire diet in the wild.

If you can't take them, then please post this in your state's thread. Also, google local wildlife rescue or rehabilitators and see if they can help. Since they are thin and hungry, they are likely to be weak and also desperate enough for food to make unwise decisions, like staying on shore too long looking for something to eat.

Even if you only had a large dog kennel to house them at night and a kiddie pool to start, it would probably be safer than where they are at. Good job noticing their condition by the way: Very observant of you!

Okay! Sorry for not updating sooner, I'm just really busy. So I've been going to the lake and feeding them after school everyday, and they are looking so much better!! I have counted nine of them and I do a head count every time. There are two brown ones, three black ones, the brown/black laced ones, and then there is one bigger one with orange feet, it is all different shades of brown, but only has lacing on some parts. Now that I have seen them better, I can give much more accurate descriptions. They are gaining weight quickly, and their feathers are already looking better! These birds should be ready for winter soon.:D

You're in Colorado? Where abouts in CO? If you can catch them I can foster them for a bit. I've got the duck set up and such so I can over winter them just fine. I hate seeing abused/neglected animals!

Okay! Sorry for not updating sooner, I'm just really busy. So I've been going to the lake and feeding them after school everyday, and they are looking so much better!! I have counted nine of them and I do a head count every time. There are two brown ones, three black ones, the brown/black laced ones, and then there is one bigger one with orange feet, it is all different shades of brown, but only has lacing on some parts. Now that I have seen them better, I can give much more accurate descriptions. They are gaining weight quickly, and their feathers are already looking better! These birds should be ready for winter soon.
big_smile.png
Glad you are feeding them but in Winter they will never last as the pond will close over and leave them no shelter from becoming somethings meal and protection.

PLEASE try to catch them, I assume you are a child if you are going after school. Please ask your parents to help you or friends to corral them up. Large dog kennles work great and using food or even live traps? And maybe if furbabymom is close enough you guys can meet half way with them and she can take over caring for them over winter.

These ducks WILL not make it in the wild even if you are feeding them they are domesticated leaving them helpless.

I am in Laffayette. And you? I would really like these ducks to get some shelter. It doesn't seem like they can fly, and I am assuming they are young, because all but one have fluff sticking out on their heads like ckicks that are almost fully feathered. If you think the winter ail be too touch on them, then they really will need shelter!!

Back
Top Bottom