Embarrasing visit to the vet

whoop whoop

Songster
Apr 26, 2015
Rainbow Nation
So off I go to the vet with my Black Russian, Zenky, and we are sitting around chatting, you know the sort of stuff,' lovely dog what breed is he' 'Yours is nice too' etc we are all very chilled. Then in walks Mrs Faux Fur, hair,red nails you get the picture with what can only be described as an overgrown rat attached to a diamond studded lead.

Zenky takes no notice, but then the rat starts yapping at him, and I mean yapping - why are small dogs so brave on lead? I was so not prepared for happened next. Zenky just went for this thing and took me with him, I slid off the chair and was dragged half way across the floor. (he is 65Kg after all). Luckily there was a helper there who took Zenky and offered me a hand, which I gratefully acccepted. Once up, I turned to the receptionist and said I think I shall wait outside, to which she replied ' you do that' ,very toffee nosed.

While Zenky was sniffing and doing dogs things I said to him, what was he thinking, he is a highly trained dog (obviously not), anyway he looked at me saying ;I couldn't help it mum, it was irritating' to which I had to agree. On our way back in for our appointment, we met Mrs Faux Fur at the door, Zenky looked at me wishfully and I said No - we passed in peace with her muttering 'did the nasty big doggie hurt my baby'.

We got to see the vet and I explained that Zenky was not feeling a 100% so he checked him over and said it was his rear glands, which he had to express. As we left Zenky said 'was that really necessary mum' and I just looked at him and said payback pal my butt is also sore.

lau.gif
funny vet visit! Our pets can really express to us what they are thinking, can't they.

I had a similar experience once, only my 65 pound English setter couldn't drag me off - he decided to bark his high sharp bark at a Saint Bernard that came in and sat right at the door. He wouldn't stop barking, so I clamped his mouth shut with my hand and told him to stop. He didn't stop barking, but with every bark his lips puffed up like a balloon and then flopped. The sound was almost completely muffled, so it was not annoying anymore. Everyone was laughing so hard, and my eyes were watering. The receptionist gave me a nasty look - but really, what could I do? There was no way to take my dog outside - I would have had to step over the other dog to get out the door.

I know exactly what you mean - it is difficult to retain composure when your animal, whom you believe to be trained lets you down but where would we be without them though, Wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see!!

Oh, I have seen scenes so similar in my younger years working for veterinarians! I know exactly the kind of pet owner you are describing.....and I could see the whole picture!
lau.gif
If it eases your embarrassement a little, I'll tell you the story of my favorite patient and his loving owner. That was the lady who brought her Gordon Setter in to see us regularly.

Mr.Hamish was an awesome dog! Personality plus, and he was drop dead gorgeous. He wasn't a show dog, but from my years of showing dogs in the Sporting Breeds I can tell you he sure could have been. And his owners were devoted to him - not the brightest crayons in the box, but devoted.

So Mr. Hamish came in with yet another ear infection. He'd get them a lot, and sometimes he'd shake his head so hard he'd end up with huge hematomas, which also had to be drained and have drainage tubes put in. But this ear infection was a little different. Usually his ear infections were fungal, but this one was bacterial. So the vet had the two of us techs do an ear flush, dry, and then start some antibiotics while he went over the treatment plan with his owners. He thought they understood it all. He was, of course, wrong.

She called a day or so later, telling us the antibiotics were upsetting his stomach and he wasn't keeping much food down. So the vet advised her to pick up a little Pepto Bismol and give him 1/2 tsp of that added to the treatment routine. She was very relieved that something that simple would help.

Mr. Hamish's mom called us about 4 days later to make an appointment. Seems the ears were much worse, and she was frantic. "He has another one of those ear hemotomatos too." So she brought him in. The vet looked into his ears and was stunned at what he saw. He had some of us look too. We couldn't see much - they were all packed tight with some kind of cakey substance that we'd never seen before. So Doc asked her to show him exactly how she'd done the treatments.

She started off fine....pretended to give him his oral antibiotic, then pretended to put the ear cleaner in his ears and smoosh it around. Then she showed us how carefully she'd wipe the ear dry without going into the canal. So far so good. Then she pretended to give him the 1/2 tsp of Pepto - 1/4 tsp in each ear. Yep. Not the brightest crayons in the box.

Back
Top Bottom