Embden/Toulouse Gender Help

nursemomab

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2015
Can anyone help me out with gender of my goose???

Try vent sexing him. It isn't as hard as some people say it is. Flip him over in your lap(you don't need to read this if you know how) he will freak out so you have to keep his legs held. Find his vent and open it GENTLY if it is male a 'pointed thing' (if you know what I'm taking about) should show if it is female you won't see one

I think it's a male too. I will definitely take a look at the vent. Thank you! I wasn't sure what I would be looking for. Lol

I was told, sometimes females when they're juveniles, have grey feathers on their rump...
Well I hatched 3 geese and sold 2, and kept one I thought was a female going on this rule
- because it had a very dark saddle as a gosling, and then went into developing grey plumage on the rump.

Well! It's nearly 3 months old now, and I have some questions....

Do even females act dominating and territorial (mildly aggressive) against chickens, Muscovies etc over food and even a water bowl? Because mine does...

Also, I cuddle my goose a lot, and lately when I set him/her down with my hand under their tummy towards the rear end, it sort've makes them to into this weird bum shake - sticking their neck out, going rigid and flattening/fanning of the tail - my muscovy male does when he's just 'shot' it in, haha.

Am I tickling something and is this a sign it's a male getting slightly stimulated by my hand acting as pressure beneath him?
It' happens pretty much every time I set them down now, and it makes a sort've gruff squawk...

Also, I was told female develop one single fat storage bag between the legs/pubic bone, and male have 2 little bumps. Mine has 2!

Very dominating goose to the other animals, but then it's the largest animal in the run so I guess you would be, wouldn't you?

If some one can shed some light on this behaviour it would be great. Really didn't want a male goose...
Also, if it is a goose, what happens if he has sex with my female white runner duck Daphne? They're best mates and she's tiny in comparison.. :S

Back
Top Bottom