Emerald Coast Chicken Newbies

She_Wanted_Chicks

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2024
Panama City Beach, Florida
Hello everyone!

About a month ago, my wife texted me "It's Chick Day at Tractor Supply tomorrow! We should get chicks!" And if you're a married man, you know how these things turn out. And here we are. I swear, she just wanted chicks.

My name is Frankie and our family lives in Panama City Beach, Florida! It's known to be the spring break capital of the world, however we moved here after 16 years of Active Duty service for the US Navy. I'm a former Deep Sea Diver, turned civilian instructor administrator for my military Alma Mater, who decided with my wife and kids to raise chickens and ducks, start a garden, and live a more sustainable life for ourselves. We've had our property a couple of months and are in the (slow) process of turning it into our own little eco system. For the location, it's actually a big chunk of land (.63 acres). I know - laughable - but on the beach side of this beach town, its huge. And we have an irrigation well!

I'm not farmer or rancher. I grew up in northern New Jersey about 20 minutes from New York City. I went to 4H Camp when I was 8 for like two weeks, milked a few cows under adult supervision, and that's about my expertise in the livestock realm. My wife, on the other hand, grew up a little more rural than I did in upstate New York and actually broke/rode horses as a teen. She earned her degree as a Vet Tech, but eventually transitioned to full time (human) RN. But she knows animals better than me, so I'm glad she stuck around the for the long haul! (11 years and counting!)

Animals: 3 human children, our 13 year old Brindle Pit mix Leonidas, 8 year old cat named Bologna, 16 chicks (Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, Golden Comets, RIR and Green Eggers) and 3 menace-@$$ ducks that get everything wet and cover most of their things in poop. They're awesome though! I'm in the process of building their coop/run and have attached a photo of the flock and the previous pergola I fortified into a the run.

I'm excited to be here. I'm excited to learn about this stuff. I'm excited to show my kids this is a way better life even though I've never done it before. Thanks for having us and I'll see ya around!

Attachments

• Chicken run.jpg
    Chicken run.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Ducks.jpg
    Ducks.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 13
  • Chicken Run 2.jpg
    Chicken Run 2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 14
hello and welcome to BYC! Your introduction is quite entertaining! May I add the next chapter? “ring…ring… hello? — honey it’s GOSLING day at Tractor supply!! “ 😄
I'm telling you... 19 birds and an 8' x 4' raised garden bed is just scratching the surface of this mad woman. I'll be tending to goats, pigs, geese and turkeys by 2028. I love her though 🤣

Hiya, Frankie! I loved your intro and cracked up laughing! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

By the way, did I spot you two at TSC? :gig

View attachment 3781516
I can’t confirm nor deny. However my wife DID say “no more chickens” which, according to my chicken math book, means I should purchase an incubator and start preparing the neighbors for a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom