Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures

CedarcreekNC

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2024
Hi everyone glad to be hear feeling pro active in a chicken issue that has presented itself in our normally healthy happy flock.
I am posting a photo of one of two of our Isa Browns that have presented with swollen wattles. No other sympton's, other than that( eating and drinking). Two others had similar sympton's about three weeks ago one older girl( flesh around her eyes were swollen not her wattles) and another Isa Brown I handled them TLC and all seemed OK until a few days ago these other two showed up with the same swollen wattles. Now all the Isa Browns are the same color so it is really difficult to know if one of the two current cases is not one of the original cases. Thank you all in advance for your support
IMG_3680.jpg

Welcome To BYC

Is vet care an option?

I'd look inside the beak for any signs of lesions or canker and inside the ears for any infection.

Check her over for an embedded tick around the head/face.

Perhaps the swelling is from an insect bite or small wound, but it could be some type of infection is you find no bites/bugs or wounds.

thank you, as far as I can tell I can see nothing physical that could have caused it. There is more than one chicken with this soooooo, infection is a possible reason. My seachhing on the internet has been bringing me to fowl cholera, :(

Possible it's Fowl Cholera, I'd consider giving a round of antibiotics to see if it helps.

Other causes to look at would be:
E. coli, Salmonella, Ornithobacterium rhinotracheale, or erysipelas.

And certain respirtory illnesses can also cause facial swelling, but usually not just in the wattles.

thank you so much, most of my search's have taken me to the fowl cholera. I have begun treating it as though it is, may I nip it in the beak.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom