EMERGENCY!!!!!! Broken neck???

best-nestin'

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
We woke up this morning to one of our 4 month old chicks, laying on the ground. It looks like she has a broken neck? She is still breathing, and can stand up, but her neck flops around. What to do???? Is this a disease, or just simply an accident? Do I need to be concerned for the rest of my flock???? I am a newbie, and not really sure what to do!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! She is an Arucana (SP?) She was fine yesterday. It was quite windy last night, and our coop has 2 sides open. COuld it be a wind gust?? We also have 6 older chickens, who are bullys to the younger ones. She is not eating and drinking at all. She did have a runny watery poop, while we were holding her. Is all hope lost?????

Last edited:
Hi there,
That's what happens when chickens get sick. Her neck is probably not broken.

Isolate her from your other chickens in a warm, dark place. Put drops on her beak of 50/50 Pedialyte and water or, in a pinch, Gatorade and water.

If you can get to the store tomorrow get some PolyViSol liquid baby vitamins no iron and put three drops on her beak for a few days. It might not help, but it won't hurt.

What are you feeding them? Could it be a nutritional deficiency? You should take her off scratch and corn while she is sick.

hope shes gonna be okay!
hugs.gif
wish i knew how to help you..

Back
Top Bottom