Emergency! Bumble foot!

Success! Thanks for all your help my mom picked at it with a tweezer untill it came out! Should I wrap her foot and seperate her?

Yes, you should DEFINITELY wrap the foot. Otherwise the infection will get worse. You certainly don't want that! You should use a vet wrap or something similar where the scrunchy material sticks to itself. That way you don't need to secure it with tape and stuff. The bird tends not to be bothered by it and neither are the other hens (in my experience). If you want to be safe and let the wound set before she's with the others then keep her for the rest of the day or overnight near or away from the others.

As for leaving it alone. I'm glad you didn't. I do know that no good effects would come of it but I've never let it go before so I can't know for sure. After two weeks of leaving it alone the foot wouldn't be as much of a problem as much as the infection in the foot spreading throughout the leg which turns to amputation, etc. So the bumblefoot wouldn't finish them directly but the infection would. :(

Tell you what, I'm going to take a couple photos of the hen I rewraped earlier today. That'll help you. Just wait 15 mins.

So, here are the pics. Here is my Buff Brahma hen named 'Dandelion'. She's had bumblefoot for four days and everyday I re-dress the wrap. Before the wrap I suggests completely covering it with Neosporin. Then wrap the foot as pictured with some adhesive tape. In the first pic you can see the bird with the wrap and the second is a more close up view.

Sorry the photos are dark... it was getting dark!

So, here's how I wrap. After I apply Neosporin I cut three 6-inch pieces of tape. I take one strip, lay it over the wound and wind it between the toes and up and around the shank. Make sure you wrap under the wound at least four times. Extra padding means extra coverage. Make sure you wrap between ALL the toes so that none of the foot pad is visible. Tie it off by pressing the adhesive tap to itself. NOTE: Don't wrap to tightly. You don't want to cut off circulation or make the foot immobile or uncomfortable.

In the future, make sure you keep the chicken's environment as dry as possible! This can help prevent bumblefoot. (As pictured) Pine chips soak up moisture and the smell in a coop. I find them great material to use!

Here is the adhesive wrap I used. In case you're curious.

Here's a better look at the adhesive tape material. It's good stuff.

Well... Hope this helps you! That's about as fast as I can take photos, download them, and write about them as I can! Good luck wrapping that foot!!!

Oh... and yeah... I suggest changing the wrap every one or two days!!!

D.gif
LOVE BIRDS!

Thank you so much owlgirl. Your amazing :) im happy my chicken is ok now.(i hope lol)

Last edited:
No problem! I'm just glad to help you! Glad I could share the love and knowledge of chickens with others!

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to answer! Feel free to contact me on BYC anytime!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom