EMERGENCY - Can I still save them?

_Featherian

Chirping
Mar 5, 2024
Hello

Since my 9 ducklings and 5 chicks have been born, I’ve been keeping them in a cage in our house. They were growing very well until my parents told me to put them out because of their smell. And so, I listened.

Not even 2 days after they have been in their gigantic place just for them (we have a small house we don’t use so I put them there with hay, warm light, and much more), I’ve forgotten to open the door to give them some "real" light, even if they can’t get out of their house (the door to their place has a small fence so they couldn’t get out and run away) and a few hours later, I come to see that 3 ducklings are dead.

I take the alive ones out to the grass, and take the dead ones out…

Almost an hour later, I come back to see that one of the chicks have been not looking well; he’s closing his eyes most of the time, he doesn’t react when I pull his wing to see his beautiful feathers, he leans backwards sometimes, his wings are touching the floor as if he couldn’t hold them up anymore, and of course he’s weak.

I force it to drink a little, then go outside with it. Now he’s with the others in their place again, ready for bed.

I just KNOW he’ll die tomorrow morning. Can I stop this from happening to him, and everyone else if they get this too? What caused this? They had a clean place, enough water, a little bit of food left (I give them everyday), a warm spot, places to jump and explore, and yeah, space!

Thanks
722B12A9-4C9F-4B3F-B07F-6D9CDAF456C2.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I would give them some electrolyte water asap. Make up some egg yolks as well to feed them. Them being kept inside shouldn't be killing them. Is there anything inside the house that they could've gotten into?

Not that I'm an expert, but I wonder if this was a shock to their system? Babies are sooooo fragile! Hope by commenting this post will bump to the top. Good luck!

I'm sorry. I would give them some electrolyte water asap. Make up some egg yolks as well to feed them. Them being kept inside shouldn't be killing them. Is there anything inside the house that they could've gotten into?
No, but we did have rats/mouse going there before, but we completely stopped seeing them months ago. And no, we don’t have anything special or toxic there.

No, but we did have rats/mouse going there before, but we completely stopped seeing them months ago. And no, we don’t have anything special or toxic there.
Were things cleaned from the mice and rats before putting the chicks and ducklings in there? Maybe unlikely, but maybe they contracted something from the leftover rodents.

Do you think so? We haven’t cleaned it, but the rats/mouse never went that side of the house, always the other. They couldn’t have touched their leftover rodents, right??

Do you think so? We haven’t cleaned it, but the rats/mouse never went that side of the house, always the other. They couldn’t have touched their leftover rodents, right??
There's a chance. Rodents carry alot of disease and bacteria. I would get them the electrolite water and egg yolk asap and just see how they're doing after that.

There's a chance. Rodents carry alot of disease and bacteria. I would get them the electrolite water and egg yolk asap and just see how they're doing after that.
It’s very late right now, they’re all sleeping probably, and everything is closed. I can’t do anything to help since my parents won’t let me go in the middle of the night outside. With the behaviour I described, do you think they will survive until tomorrow morning ?

Back
Top Bottom