EMERGENCY chick has sac hanging out

"The ether method I use is done with a small airtight container (I use old plastic coffee containers, but even a butter bowl will work). Get a can of car started fluid, make sure it’s the kind that contains ether. Do this outside! Spray a paper towel with some of the ether, put the baby in the towel, and put it all down in the container. Spray generously, but careful you don’t inhale any fumes yourself. Put the lid on and the chick will be put to sleep, then die quickly and painlessly in its sleep." necessary

Copy n pasted from another thread. This is a humane way that puts them to sleep. It isnt graphic. Its very gentle. @Emma_Bruffy
I'm going to give it about an hour to see if someone will respond on how to save it but then I guess I'm going to have to... it's so sad I wonder what cause it to happen

I'm going to give it about an hour to see if someone will respond on how to save it but then I guess I'm going to have to... it's so sad I wonder what cause it to happen
Cause what to happen? The yolk sac being left or this specifically?
Sometimes they're just very determined to get up, and when they try they can rupture the yolk...Or even pull their intestines out. Its just awful, I've only seen a couple of threads about it, only one was successful. I can't recall what it was titled so I can't find it.
Ultimately the person would either have to wash their hands exceptionally well, or preferably wear sterilised medical gloves- then very carefully, very gently work the intestines back into the abdomen through the naval, where they came out.
Then you'd have to apply, probably triple antibiotic (without pain relief) thoroughly over the naval.
Some may use glue to close the hole but personally I wouldn't want to risk the glue entering into their system. I'd prefer to allow the opening to heal itself. Usually this only takes a day or so. The risk is that the intestines may somehow come back out, or infection could set in.

It's really an awful situation. It's entirely up to you, if you want to try to save the chick. I would do everything you can as soon as you can and hope for the best. But prepare yourself because the chances of survival are  extremely low. The chick could go very suddenly.
if it seems to be in pain, then euthanasia would be the kindest option, and there are more gentle methods. (I've never had to do this, so I know how scary and upsetting it would be to consider).

Keep us updated, if you get the intestines back inside, you will need triple antibiotic (without pain relief) to cover the area thoroughly.
I'm going to have another look for the thread that I'm thinking of.

Ok so I sterilized an area, cleaned the intestines with Betadine and got them in and so far, 30 mins later, they haven't come back out. Inside the blue circle is the navel. I'd like to take a warm wet cotton ball and wipe the yolk off the back but I want to wait until the navel heals for a while at least

Attachments

• Untitled49_20230325111550.png
    Untitled49_20230325111550.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Ok so I sterilized an area, cleaned the intestines with Betadine and got them in and so far, 30 mins later, they haven't come back out. Inside the blue circle is the navel. I'd like to take a warm wet cotton ball and wipe the yolk off the back but I want to wait until the navel heals for a while at least
She may still die.. lots of things can happen. Shock, infection, lack of yolk absorption, etc.
(I am NOT an expert on this.)

As long as the naval area is clean, no yolk left there to introduce bad bacteria to the open naval, then yes I'd wait to clean the rest of the chick. Give her a bit of time to rest.
Did you apply any triple antibiotic to the naval, over the hole? I would do this if you have some. I'm not familiar with betadine, is that a similar product?

You really have a lot of risks here, the first is infection, the second is that the chick may become malnourished due to lack of yolk which was a very important lifeline for the baby. Usually they won't survive that rupture of the yollk sac, to have gone through this problem with her intestines as well leaves her even less likely to recover. So please prepare yourself for that, it's very likely she will pass away in the next 3 days.

She is your chick, and if you want to save her, that's okay. You've done really well so far
The next step:
I would try feeding the chick some yolk mixed with water, you could also give it a few drops of nutri drench, or I've heard that save-a-chick also works well. Dip the tip of her beak into the mixture, to encourage her to sip it. Of course ensure her nares stay dry.
Its going to be important to get nutrients into her and get her back strength up. Offer her a mixture of yolk and water, or nutri drench, whatever you have to hand, hourly. We need to replace the nutrients that were lost with her yolk. Keep an eye on her naval, and her vent. See if she's able to poop okay, once she's eating. And keep us updated on that

She'll need to stay in the incubator while the naval closes, if you can keep her away from other chicks. That's where her best bet is for recovery.

She just pooped, I think the highest risk right now is an infection
Great news!
Fingers crossed she somehow makes it
Has she been eating then? I'd clean off any yolk left on her now, with a damp cloth, if you haven't already.
she can be in a brooder now, keep it as clean as possible, if you have any puppy pads, that would be ideal on the ground.

Have food and water for her but
keep offering a yolk water mix, and nutri drench if you have some, frequently. It's really important she gets a lot of vitamins in her system.

Back
Top Bottom