EMERGENCY: CHICKEN CAN'T BREATHE

The Chick Addict

💖
Premium Feather Member
Jun 23, 2022
Texoma
My hen, Scuffle, is having a hard time breathing and is wheezing, it seems like she has something stuck in throat. Please help!!! She's a year and half and our puppy got out and started chasing her. She went back in the coop and I heard her wheezing. She had been eating when was chased. How do I get whatever it is out of her throat and help her be able to breathe! This is very URGENT!!!

@Wyorp Rock
@aart
@azygous
@Eggcessive

She may have a piece of feed stuck in her throat and airway. Look into her throat with a light while someone holds her for you for anything that you can reach. Is her comb red, and is she in any great distress? She is probably scared.
Her comb was turning purple as I brought her inside. She was breathing through her mouth hard as I was trying to find out to help her. She started sneezing and her breathing got better but she is still wheezing. I got a flashlight and looked down her throat but couldn't find anything... Her comb is red again though. Is there anything I can do for her until she sneezes it out?

I would be patient, since most chickens with stridor will cough the small piece of feed out within a few hours. I had an Ancona hen who wolfed her food down, and would sometimes have stridor overnight, then be fine the next morning.
Okay, thank you! She is resting inside my laundry room and she is till wheezing but not as distressed as she was earlier. I will update later today. Thank you again! :D

Please let us know how she is breathing in the morning. I hope she is doing better.
How is she doing now?
I hope much better.
When I went to lock the chickens up, her breathing had gotten worse but not as bad when as when I found her. I brought her inside and she was having a hard time breathing again. I made her drink a couple drops of water but she didn't eat. She did do a healthy poop though. I left her inside for a bit, checked her throat again, still nothing. I brought her back outside and when I set her on the roost, her breathing got better and you could barely hear any wheezing. I'm hoping she will be better by tomorrow and that she will be okay tonight! :fl Thank y'all for checking in and I will update y'all tomorrow!

@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

I checked on her this morning and her breathing was not labored but I could still hear some wheezing. She is not acting as spunky or active as usual but she is till scratching around. It seems like whatever is in her throat is still there. Her comb is still red, but is purplish on the tops. I'm still worried about her and I don't think she's in the clear yet. Any ideas or advice for her? 😓

Has she been wormed recently? If not I would consider using Valbazen 1/2 ml, or Safegard Liquid Goat Wormer 1.25 ml orally for 5 consecutive days. How old is she? Is there any sneezing or is she gasping, or having watery/bubbly eyes? Was there any mucus or yellow matter in her throat?

Back
Top Bottom