Emergency! Duck adoption ended up rescue!

Ok NEED HELP LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!!!!! We have tried everything to get everyone to eat feed. Appears that these poor things are used to just getting slopped like hogs. Should I not be giving them veggies and fruits and try and starve them into feed? Will it just take a while? They are in such poor shape, I'm worrying that they are not getting the nutrition they need to heal. Any ideas?

Bless you heart any chance there is a rescue around you that would take the rest?

Put food down and water and let them figure it out they will eventually. Sure can't force them to eat. If you have some electrolytes and poultry vitamins I'd add to their drinking bucket.

Why wouldn't these people go get more feed? Maybe animal control is best.
I don't understand how people can starve animals!!!! I would report them to animal control and bring them there and I'm sure they will know what to do. You have a big heart. I would go get the rest too

Ok NEED HELP LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!!!!! We have tried everything to get everyone to eat feed. Appears that these poor things are used to just getting slopped like hogs. Should I not be giving them veggies and fruits and try and starve them into feed? Will it just take a while? They are in such poor shape, I'm worrying that they are not getting the nutrition they need to heal. Any ideas?
I'd feed them whatever they will eat, but that's just me... Someone else might have a better idea.

My food vote goes to duck/fowl crumbles, like Purina Flock Raiser. It has enough protein for them, and is a good all around feed. A big bag (40 pounds?) doesn't even cost that much, and if you put some in a bowl, they will simply go to it and start eating. It must smell good to them.
My ducks never had watered down feed. They just eat the dry crumbles. Of course there is plenty of drinking close by. But not too close. If the food and water dishes are too close, the water will get fouled in about 20-minutes! They like to take a mouthful of feed, and then dunk it in the water. I suppose it could be good to wet down the feed, but I've never done that. Good luck.
And let me not forget: WELL DONE!!!!! You and hubby are great people! Really, I respect you so much for your rescue efforts. The old "owners" disgust me--"they got bored with them"--wow, what terrible people. And so many! It just supports my belief that of all species, humans can be the worst.

You are so kind to take in all these ducks :hugs How could people end up with so many ducks and not feed them? It's mind-boggling.

Are they afraid of the food bowl perhaps? You could also put the feed in a bowl with a lot of water, so they can slobber it. Or throw some on the ground.

Kudos to you and your neighbors for taking in these animals in need!:highfive:

I am going to try and get more photos up for all of you. My original Ducks and the rescues are doing great today.

My original Ducks are Runt, Sneezy, Pigget, Whatchamacallit, Gus Gus and Loudmouth.

At the vets suggestion we are letting everyone out with the original Ducks. So far this morning it's been very noisy as everyone is all together. Including my original Turkeys because they think they are ducks, and my Tom Turkey Dinner protects our flocks.

Well everyone is out in the grass and Runt Sneezy Pigget and Loudmouth are trying to teach everyone to forage.
I went and put scratch grains down in the grass along with worms that the my son dug up and went inside. We look like we are little kids waiting for Santa Claus as we are all sitting by windows with our morning coffee watching everyone. We even put the real bad off ones out right outside the dining room window.
:eek::eek::eek:
Every one is slowly learning to forage with the help of my original 6.:celebrate
I wish I spoke duck, so I knew what was being said.
We also put the feeders out with everyone and my ducks are also teaching the new ones to eat the feed.
I may not get back on for the update this afternoon. My cousin and Aunt are coming to watch over everyone so I can get some sleep. Which has only consisted of hour or so naps the past several days.

Again I did do a separate post. But our thoughts and prayers are with all those in the path of the hurricane.

Back
Top Bottom