emergency my duck might be sick

nosduj

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
i have a two week old all white runner and on its wing closest to its body the skin is red and the furr is thin he lives in the brooder with three chicks and another duck is this something that i should worry about

no he is acting fine but his wings just looks iratated right there by his body

my guess is that the chickens are pecking him. do you have a red light? that helps to stop it. you may want to seperate the ducks from the chickens if you can. Now that it's red they will keep pecking at it and this can cause infection and bad feather growth.

Good luck and keep us informed
smile.png

Julie

I recently had a problem with a chick pecking another chick til it bled - I just took a Q-tip and swabbed some Blukote onto the area (it is a disinefectant and it is blue, so it discourages picking).

The chick no longer picked at the other one, and it healed up nicely within a week.

meri

Last edited:
it's in the brooder? It's still a baby? then....

DON' WORRY!!!! All white/yellow colored ducklings get this... The bend of their wing looks all red... really, there's just no fluff there. Both of my babies now have it, and every light colored duck i've handled had it. It's just a lack of fluff/ down where the wind bends... When they start feathering, it'll grow in just fine. My snowy mallard had the same thing but around her neck... Now that she's 3 and half weeks old it's growing in just fine. I would not worry at all.

If you have other colored ducks and you look closely at the ends of their wings, you'll see a lack of fluff there too... It's just hard to notice on them because they have dark skin too.

With light colored ducks their pink skin shows through...

Do not worry!

if you see any blood at all, then it is a pecking problem... which can easily be fixed by seperating the chickens and duck, and then putting a little ointment on the wing...

here was sammy's on her neck:

S7305850.jpg

She's the one on the right bending her head down to preen her belly. You can see the pin k spot on the nack of her neck. It's just like the spots they get on their wings.

Sammy's spot has already started to go away. Her skin is turning black (she's a mallard, her skin is supposed to be dark), and getting in new fluff/feathers. It was completely bald when i took this picture... I'll see if i can get anther one of her later today...

Back
Top Bottom