Pics

countryladyNH

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 22, 2016
New Hampshire USA
My Coop
My Coop
We have a White Crested duckling that is one month old. She is in a brooder in the house with 2 other ducklings. All have been in perfect health and behaving normally. Just this morning we could see that the crested duck is sick. She is very lethargic and not eating or drinking at this point. The only sound she makes is a strange honking sound NOT her normal peeping. Like maybe a respiratory thing? Her eyes are clear and fine. She just sits there, head kind of down. We have put her in a separate box with food and water isolated from the other 2 ducks. She has water and Mazuri gosling/duckling feed. I gave her some mashed peas with warm
poop.jpg
water that I added nutritional yeast powder too. She loves that and she did eat some of it, about an hour ago, but nothing since. We are panicking and desperate. She is mainly just very lethargic and made that weird sound. No appropriate vet in area. She can walk but takes a few steps and sits. Her feet/legs are normal and all have been getting extra niacin regularly. As stated, the other 2 ducks are fine so far. She just pooped. NOT NORMAL. Watery foam. Husband took crummy photo and then cleaned it up instead of leaving it like I asked him to. I tried to lighten the photo so you can see it. She ate a little more of the watery peas and the poop did have green in it. It's the honking noise that is so alarming. PLEASE HELP. WE GOT OUR BABIES A MONTH AGO AND WE LOVE THIS DUCK SO MUCH.

We have a White Crested duckling that is one month old. She is in a brooder in the house with 2 other ducklings. All have been in perfect health and behaving normally. Just this morning we could see that the crested duck is sick. She is very lethargic and not eating or drinking at this point. The only sound she makes is a strange honking sound NOT her normal peeping. Like maybe a respiratory thing? Her eyes are clear and fine. She just sits there, head kind of down. We have put her in a separate box with food and water isolated from the other 2 ducks. She has water and Mazuri gosling/duckling feed. I gave her some mashed peas with warm View attachment 3529670water that I added nutritional yeast powder too. She loves that and she did eat some of it, about an hour ago, but nothing since. We are panicking and desperate. She is mainly just very lethargic and made that weird sound. No appropriate vet in area. She can walk but takes a few steps and sits. Her feet/legs are normal and all have been getting extra niacin regularly. As stated, the other 2 ducks are fine so far. She just pooped. NOT NORMAL. Watery foam. Husband took crummy photo and then cleaned it up instead of leaving it like I asked him to. I tried to lighten the photo so you can see it. She ate a little more of the watery peas and the poop did have green in it. It's the honking noise that is so alarming. PLEASE HELP. WE GOT OUR BABIES A MONTH AGO AND WE LOVE THIS DUCK SO MUCH.
Green poo would be normal as she ate peas
Have they been outside ? What temp is your brooder ? How big is it and can she get away from the heat if needed ?
Have you been providing any treats besides the crumble feed ? If so have you been giving her grit to hrkp digest they feed ?
What kind of niacin have they been getting regular ?

Green poo would be normal as she ate peas
Have they been outside ? What temp is your brooder ? How big is it and can she get away from the heat if needed ?
Have you been providing any treats besides the crumble feed ? If so have you been giving her grit to hrkp digest they feed ?
What kind of niacin have they been getting regular ?
They were outside last week with us for limited periods when it was quite warm (80+) They are in a large brooder. Plenty of room. We did not use the heat lamp at all starting last week because they would go to the other side away from it. It was very warm out and in. This AM we moved Cotswold to the box and put the heat lamp on it for her. She is in a small box, but she is NOT under the heat lamp itself. It's warm in box but she doesn't want to be right under it. Yes, she can be away from the heat. I have put baby chick in their food. Not today yet. Should I put it in the food or just in the box? I did a lot of research and duck person said that Nutritional Yeast is better than Brewers Yeast. It's kind of a powdery consistency, and mixes well with water. I have been giving them all some every day and they seem to love it. No leg issues. We do have liquid (human) Niacin w/ dropper coming in the mail just in case, but the stuff we've been giving seems very good. Sorry, I can hardly type I am shaking so bad. So scared.

They were outside last week with us for limited periods when it was quite warm (80+) They are in a large brooder. Plenty of room. We did not use the heat lamp at all starting last week because they would go to the other side away from it. It was very warm out and in. This AM we moved Cotswold to the box and put the heat lamp on it for her. She is in a small box, but she is NOT under the heat lamp itself. It's warm in box but she doesn't want to be right under it. Yes, she can be away from the heat. I have put baby chick in their food. Not today yet. Should I put it in the food or just in the box? I did a lot of research and duck person said that Nutritional Yeast is better than Brewers Yeast. It's kind of a powdery consistency, and mixes well with water. I have been giving them all some every day and they seem to love it. No leg issues. We do have liquid (human) Niacin w/ dropper coming in the mail just in case, but the stuff we've been giving seems very good. Sorry, I can hardly type I am shaking so bad. So scared.
PS I meant I put baby chick GRIT in their food. I didn't yet today, but yes, they had it.

My 4 week olds don’t have any heat and haven’t for a week now
I find by 3 weeks they stop using it
Do you provide water 24/7 deep enough to dunk their heads to clear out the eyes and nares ?
Have you provided grit ? If not I would get some as she maybe having digest issues and grit helps them
Does their feed ever get wet ? It can get mouldy fast and cause bacterial infections if they eat it ( we learned the hard way ) our little guy lost his voice that’s how I knew
I do use nutritional yeast but never in the water. They don’t get the proper amount this way
I sprinkle 1tbs to 1 cup feed
But it doesn’t sound like a niacin issue if she isn’t shaky or legs bowed out
Do you have colloidal silver ? If so you could give .25ml directly by syringe
Can you get a video of her voice
Download to YouTube then share the link
@Miss Lydia do you have ideas ?

Last edited:
My 4 week olds don’t have any heat and haven’t for a week now
I find by 3 weeks they stop using it
Do you provide water 24/7 deep enough to dunk their heads to cheat out the eyes and nares ?
Have you provided grit ? If not I would get some as she maybe having digest issues and grit helps them
Does their feed ever get wet ? It can get mouldy fast and cause bacterial infections if they eat it ( we learned the hard way ) our little guy lost his voice that’s how I knew
I do use nutritional yeast but never in the water. They don’t get the proper amount this way
I sprinkle 1tbs to 1 cup feed
But it dies by sound like a niacin issue if she isn’t shaky or legs bowed out
Do you have colloidal silver ? If so you could give .25ml directly by syringe
Can you get a video of her voice
Download to YouTube then share the link
@Miss Lydia do you have ideas ?
Yes, No heat lamp now.

Yes, They have a little bin water system that we made that is in the brooder at all times and they can dunk their heads and drink.

I have been keeping water filled at all times.

Yes, they have baby chicken grit.

No wet feed at all.

Hubby thinks that the noise is her starting to quack and not a 'sickness' issue but honestly I have no idea!

I have put the nutritional yeast on their food as well, but I should have been more specific; I have never put it in their regular water container, I only mix up a little in a little bit of water which I added to the small bowl of mashed peas. They drink/eat every bit of it so they got all the NT that was in there.

We have no cell phone so no way to make a video.

She is just sitting there. Her breathing is normal. She is not eating or drinking at all.

Her feet/legs normal. She will stand, hang over and kind of put her head down, and then sit.

I don't have any colloidal silver. I don't know how to even inject a duck...

We just took these photos.

She was just fine and normal until we got up this AM at 6 and noticed she was very listless and not herself...

cots2.jpg
cots1.jpg
cots3.jpg

Put the chick grit in a separate bowl not in their feed so they only get the grit when they need it [they know instinctively].
Do you have any activated charcoal? I wonder if this could be a tummy upset.
Do you notice her breathing differently like rattling or breathing with her mouth open?

Too warm can cause poop to become foamy I think I read somewhere just tried to find info and came up null. I'd put a thermometer in with her to see exactly what the temp is.

Boy that is a huge crest. which means there is no skull under there just a fatty layer under that crest. If this is a female which it sounds like it is your not going to want her mating since a drake grabs hold of head feathers and this could cause serious damage to her.
She was standing with her head down on the floor and then lifted it up in normal postion ?

Yes, No heat lamp now.

Yes, They have a little bin water system that we made that is in the brooder at all times and they can dunk their heads and drink.

I have been keeping water filled at all times.

Yes, they have baby chicken grit.

No wet feed at all.

Hubby thinks that the noise is her starting to quack and not a 'sickness' issue but honestly I have no idea!

I have put the nutritional yeast on their food as well, but I should have been more specific; I have never put it in their regular water container, I only mix up a little in a little bit of water which I added to the small bowl of mashed peas. They drink/eat every bit of it so they got all the NT that was in there.

We have no cell phone so no way to make a video.

She is just sitting there. Her breathing is normal. She is not eating or drinking at all.

Her feet/legs normal. She will stand, hang over and kind of put her head down, and then sit.

I don't have any colloidal silver. I don't know how to even inject a duck...

We just took these photos.

She was just fine and normal until we got up this AM at 6 and noticed she was very listless and not herself...

View attachment 3529703View attachment 3529704View attachment 3529707
I don’t think I would separate her if she doesn’t have runny nose or eyes
They get a weird slight loud honk noise when first starting it in Boys they can sound like a frog in the throat
Maybe put her back with her flock and see how she does
She may have got to much grit by having to eat it when she didn’t need it
Her crop looks full to me but going to see what @Miss Lydia thinks

Back
Top Bottom