Emergency please help: stuff hanging out of vent

Westmarch

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
We came home to see our chicken standing in her nesting box. She had what looks like a puddle of egg white under her. We checked her vent and found a tube like object hanging out. We immediately brought her inside and took this photo. She's not making any noises and her vent looks like it's straining to push it out. She is small for her breed, but had laid fine in the past.
Help! :(

Last edited:
Looks like it is definitely a soft egg. We got most of it out, but there is some left inside that she pulled back in her vent. Should we still be worried?

Hi I don't have any answers. I'm new at raising chickens. But we had the same thing happen to our year old Ameraucana (Blue) last night. This morning her vent was clear and she is eating and drinking so I think she is OK. But can someone tell me what caused this expulsion of broken egg with no shell at all and will it cause her any problems or a change in her laying? She did lay an egg yesterday and expelled this white and yellow substance last night. PLEASE HELP I'm still worried about Blue.

Has she layed an egg since? Definitely seems like an egg broke inside , you'll want to keep an eye to make sure she doesn't get an infection . I've seen a video of someone inserting olive oil in the vent to help the egg pass....

Back
Top Bottom