CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
I just went to check on my quail and one of my hens appears to have broken her upper beak right around the area of her nostril. The entire beak has shifted to the right and her head/eyes are swollen. She was fine this morning. I have Tylan 50, Baytril, LA 200 and OxytetracyclineBactrim- what can I do to help her??

20230719_003133.jpg
And please, I know you all mean well, but culling isn't an option here.
I truly appreciate any and all help!

Attachments

• 20230719_003155.jpg
    20230719_003155.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 5
I just went to check on my quail and one of my hens appears to have broken her upper beak right around the area of her nostril. The entire beak has shifted to the right and her head/eyes are swollen. She was fine this morning. I have Tylan 50, Baytril, LA 200 and OxytetracyclineBactrim- what can I do to help her??

View attachment 3581796And please, I know you all mean well, but culling isn't an option here.
I truly appreciate any and all help!
@TudyBOT pls help

I just went to check on my quail and one of my hens appears to have broken her upper beak right around the area of her nostril. The entire beak has shifted to the right and her head/eyes are swollen. She was fine this morning.

20230719_003133.jpg

This isn't scissor beak, but rather the break is right at the base of her beak

I friend just pointed out that it looks like scissor beak; for clarification, the break is right at the base of her beak by/under her nostril

I have no experience with quail or broken beaks, but I would try to give her some fluids and electrolytes with a dropper. The try to give watery quail feed. Her beak looks very sore, and I’m not sure that she will eat on her own. Mushy feed with a lot of water from a tall bowl would be best for her. If tube feeding is an option, that might keep her going until some healing can occur. KayTee baby bird feed is good for tube feeding. Avian vets can repair beaks sometimes, if that is an option.

I have no experience with quail or broken beaks, but I would try to give her some fluids and electrolytes with a dropper. The try to give watery quail feed. Her beak looks very sore, and I’m not sure that she will eat on her own. Mushy feed with a lot of water from a tall bowl would be best for her. If tube feeding is an option, that might keep her going until some healing can occur. KayTee baby bird feed is good for tube feeding. Avian vets can repair beaks sometimes, if that is an option.
I powderized protein meal and calcium supplement and mixed it with water to feed her through a 1cc syringe. She's trying to eat on her own, but I'm not sure if she's able to get anything. She is drinking though. I'm not sure if we can get her to a vet, but any suggestions in what I should do for the swelling on her face? Thank you so much for responding!

Call around to pet stores, pigeon supply shops, and vet offices and ask for surgical super glue.

If you can't find a vet to make this repair, you will need to try to do it yourself. Ordinary super glue may work, but the surgical is better for this application.

Clean the wound thoroughly with an antibacterial wound wash. Dry and apply super glue sparingly to both sides of the break. Two people are best, one to hold the bird steady and the other to hold the beak for sixty seconds while the glue sets up. Continue to feed only liquids for a week.

Use an antibiotic while it heals to prevent infection.

Back
Top Bottom