EMERGENCY SEVERE BRAIN INJURY

TheEggCollecter

Songster
5 Years
Feb 16, 2014
Massachusettes
Please help! This year I hatched out five Rhodebar chicks. All were female. They are 19 weeks old and showing signs of sexual maturity. One of the pullets as hole in its head! I don't know how this happened maybe he cut it on the fence or the others pullets pecked at him. I don't think it would be the other hens because they have been with each other for a while. Maybe a predator! I don't know but this is really bad. I have include pictures below. THEY ARE GRAPHIC! She is in excruciating pain and her brain is exposed. I don't want to lose her and I can't bear to see her like this. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
I would like to send out a big thanks to every one who replied and gave me the help and advice I needed. Thanks for everybody who was thinking of us last night and gave me their best wishes too. I was panicking and would like to apologize for my mistake with the brain or skull injury. I would also like to give an update. After waking up this morning I was a little sad and nervous that I may find her passed away but if that was the case it obviously would have been what is right. Although what i did find was a true miracle. She was up and eating and drinking and after removing her bandage a few minutes ago her wound had already scabbed over nicely. 

And has for how she got her head wound I think I solved that to. This morning i went out to open up the coops and I found the stray cat Tux trying to play with the chickens. Tux is a friendly cat who wasn't trying to kill the chickens she was just trying to paw at them through the fence and that is how I believe she got her head cut. Tux probably swiped her in just the right spot.
Well once again thank you everybody. Very happy that there is BYC and all its members. :)

Last edited:
You need to cover it up. Can you put the skin back over the wound, put neosporin ointment on wound, put gauze over the neosporin and then wrap her head to keep the bandage on? I looked at the anatomy of a chicken skull and I believe you are seeing her "skull bone" and not actually her brain matter. Im a people nurse, not an animal nurse but this is what I would do if it happened to one of my girls. Also he needs to be isolated from all other chickens, placed in a warm, dark place in your house if possible. Provide food and water and peace and quiet. Good luck!!

I know you don't want to hear this and would like to save the bird but, all you are doing is prolonging the inevitable. Put the bird down to end it's suffering.

You need to cover it up.  Can you put the skin back over the wound, put neosporin ointment on wound, put gauze over the neosporin and then wrap her head to keep the bandage on?  I looked at the anatomy of a chicken skull and I believe you are seeing her "skull bone" and not actually her brain matter.  Im a people nurse, not an animal nurse but this is what I would do if it happened to one of my girls.  Also he needs to be isolated from all other chickens, placed in a warm, dark place in your house if possible.  Provide food and water and peace and quiet.  Good luck!!

Yes I am working on covering it up. At first I thought it was the skull but it's not bone. Maybe it's muscle or flesh surrounding the skull. I don't know but what I do know is that it is soft and open flesh not bone. I have already isolated her from the flock and put her in a warm dog crate in my house with a heating pad. She is now walking around, eating, and drinking.

I know you don't want to hear this and would like to save the bird but, all you are doing is prolonging the inevitable.  Put the bird down to end it's suffering.

I have no problem with culling her. Based on the improvement I am beginning to see (eye blinking, walking, chirping, eating, and drinking) I believe she has a chance. If things go south and she has a relapse or infection sets in I will do what is right and put her down. Thanks for your advice and taking the time to respond :)

Really pleased to hear she's healing so well. What a little trooper !
It's very clear that you love and cherish your chickens and I'm sure she is very lucky to have you.
Keep up the great work :)

I wouldn't suggest putting her back with her flock for sometime yet, although if it's possible she could have some outdoor time along side their run so they don't forget her. Perhaps when naughty Tux is not about !

This forum is amazing isn't it ? I have had my own moments of anguish with my flocks and the members here are always ready to help, support and calm.

Love to you both x

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom