EMERGENCY!!!

Chooken Owner

Chirping
Jun 22, 2022
Madison AL
So after our chicken dove died, the next day 1 of our 3 rabbits died on our front porch. The day he died our chicken that is friends with dove went missing and most likely died but we never found a body. The next day doves best friend reese went missing and died but no body found. Then the day after that, our 2 hatched silkie babies and their friend went missing and just as the rest of them, most likely died but no body found. Then when I was looking around, I found the silkies babies fluff ALL around this area scattered and some were light grey and some were dark grey. That’s how I could tell it was them as those were the only grey chickens we have. Then last night, our chickens were afraid to go in their coop but I HAD to put them up. 3 silkies were in the middle of our yard where anything could get them. The rest were on our porch hiding. I put them in our coop and locked it up. Then one of our chickens that we had for a year went missing and so did the last friend of the Silkie chicks. I put our coop in lockdown where I put our chickens in hole free crates. Just to be safe I put the lock on the chicken coop door. And also, every night the chickens that would be missing the next day were in the coop. I have a few animals on what it couldnt be that’s been behind all this. Opossums, even though they could kill, they would go for the eggs. Owls, they could swoop down and there is an area where they could get in, but spotlight shines in that area. So any bird is checked off the list. Now this is what many people thought but I realized it couldn’t. A stray cat lives around here. But after examining the yard and mud, there was no trace of blood or footprints anywhere. Armadillos also live near so they could be the cause of the chicks, but not the big chickens.

It very much sounds like you have a predator problem. Pictures of your coop and set up might help to see if it can be secured better. If you have, or can borrow, a game camera, I would do that. That way whatever is coming around you can at least ID. It's a very effective way to ID something that sneaks in. Putting your general location in your profile also can help. There are many predators that are common to certain areas, some of them are very ingenious at getting into coops and runs. Weasels and rats can get through very small openings. What ever it is will keep coming back because it is having success.

It very much sounds like you have a predator problem. Pictures of your coop and set up might help to see if it can be secured better. If you have, or can borrow, a game camera, I would do that. That way whatever is coming around you can at least ID. It's a very effective way to ID something that sneaks in. Putting your general location in your profile also can help. There are many predators that are common to certain areas, some of them are very ingenious at getting into coops and runs. Weasels and rats can get through very small openings. What ever it is will keep coming back because it is having success.
We noticed that last night so this morning we put them somewhere safe. I plan to set my alarm every few hours and get up and look in our backyard. Yes this May seem cruel but I know archery and how to shoot so I could kill the animal

Foxes are pretty common also. Your local laws concerning killing predators could be different than others, so be familiar with those so you don't get into trouble. Some places it's fine on your property, some places it's not, and some things are protected. Just make sure you don't bring trouble onto yourself. In some places trapping and relocating furred animals is prohibited. It would be good to ID whatever it is, knowing their habits can help with securing things and deterring them from hanging around.

Foxes are pretty common also. Your local laws concerning killing predators could be different than others, so be familiar with those so you don't get into trouble. Some places it's fine on your property, some places it's not, and some things are protected. Just make sure you don't bring trouble onto yourself. In some places trapping and relocating furred animals is prohibited. It would be good to ID whatever it is, knowing their habits can help with securing things and deterring them from hanging around.
I believe I can as there are deer hunting stands are everywhere

There are seasons for some things, if you do it out of season it can be big fines, likewise if it requires a tag or permit. Smaller, predator type animals can have different rules. There are some species that are considered threatened or endangered, so knowing for sure will keep you out of trouble. Killing a hawk or an owl could cause problems as many, many birds are protected under the migratory bird laws. Just be informed.

There are seasons for some things, if you do it out of season it can be big fines, likewise if it requires a tag or permit. Smaller, predator type animals can have different rules. There are some species that are considered threatened or endangered, so knowing for sure will keep you out of trouble. Killing a hawk or an owl could cause problems as many, many birds are protected under the migratory bird laws. Just be informed.
I found evidence! It’s a fox or coyote. I found an entire chicken wing from one of our chickens and it was bloody

Foxes are smart and persistent. Most fencing will not stop them at all, they will just go up and over. They also dig, so putting an apron around your coop that they cannot dig through is important. Chicken wire will not stop them, they will tear through it. Hardware cloth, 1/2 inch or smaller, secured strongly to good framing is the most secure for all predators. I've lost a couple of birds to foxes, they were dummies that would not go in the coop until it was very dark out, so got locked out. My coop is completely secure, 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the closed run with a metal roof, automatic door that opens after the sun is full up, and closes at dusk (timer). If a bird gets locked out for some reason, only that bird is at risk, not the whole flock. Most of my birds learn pretty early on and getting locked out is not a common occurance, and I set the timer for when I know they normally are in. A fox can attack and be gone in less than a minute. With some effort you can make your coop secure against almost everything (nothing will keep out a determined bear). My birds semi free range during daylight hours (large open, but fenced, area) they are completely locked up at night, the only thing that's ever gotten in is field mice and snakes (snakes can climb wire, pretty sure they get in my ridge vent). Have never lost a bird to a snake, but have found them getting warm under a hen in a nest box! Until you discourage what ever it is, I would keep the birds secured and not free ranging, if possible.

Back
Top Bottom