Emotional duck?

Pebble_Bunny

Chirping
May 10, 2023
Buddy my nearly 1 year old male Aylesbury is very emotional... He hates the word "bad" and "no", he seems to understand those words are used when he is being told off for doing something wrong but he doesn't seem to understand that this isn't me trying to upset him but rather me trying to express my dislike towards what he's doing. When I do tell the duck off he seems to get mad, he then starts to bite me aggressively till I take back my words and call him a "good bud bud" or cuddle him till he feels better... I've looked up what to do when he bites but often find people just say to pin them down but I feel to guilty to ever put my hands on my baby in such a cruel way so I end up just picking up the duck or leaving him alone with his sibling. Not only this but the smallest things scare my baby... Not long ago he ran across my room and ended up knocking something over, it fell to the ground (a bit loud and a little close to him) instead of just running off like a normal duck he froze and began to cry... Yes cry... Full on crying which cause's me to feel guilty and yes cry with him and by that I mean legit ball my eyes, I had to run to the baby pick him up and cuddle away the fear's but I'm starting to think maybe he's so emotional because me..? I have a lot of anxiety and I did baby him a lot when he was little and now still due to him being emotional. On top of that he seems to have a lot of energy which is a little difficult to drain at the moment as no my ducks don't enjoy their pond instead they like showers which they end up showering 1-2 times a day as they just love it so much and also don't clean them selves if they don't get wet by the rain or the shower water. (context: I had bad depression for a bit, never took them outside instead let them go in the shower which may be the reason why but it's been months since my depression was that bad so they've been going outside every morning for ages now, they have a pond in their cage but I do let them free roam the garden) My ducks do SOMETIMES enjoy eating the grass but they oddly seem to get bored of it fast and instead scream for me or run to the passage/door and wait for me to come let them in (They come indoors at night time due to my anxiety about loosing them) I'm just really unsure how to keep them entertained as I'm in school at the moment and can't spend 24/7 with them and even though they seem to prefer staying inside with me I don't think it's the right thing to do as they don't have much to do inside as their indoor cage is only for night time. I also would like to know if Buddy's emotional behaviour is normal or if there is something I've done wrong here and may need to sort out... Here is Buddy begging for attention 24/7 and a cute photo of him asleep under my chair which he often does when I allow them to roam my room. ❤️

IMG-20230411-WA0003.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-10 at 11.21.03 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-10 at 11.21.05 PM (1).jpeg
20221108_221446.jpg
20230417_222520.jpg

Attachments

• 20230223_214606.jpg
    20230223_214606.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221218_214710.jpg
    20221218_214710.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230415_174829_06.jpg
    20230415_174829_06.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 7
Buddy is a handsome boy! His behavior doesn't sound too uncommon, especially if he imprinted on you and was hand raised as a baby. Just that time of year where everyone's favorite drake is a little riled up. Sounds like you've done a bit of reading on the topic, but here's a recent thread you might find some tips in, or at the very least some comfort knowing you're far from alone and have done nothing wrong. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-get-him-to-stop-attacking-me.1574889/

As far as your inside/outside dilemma is concerned, what is your set-up like outside in terms of space and everything? Do they have a coop and secure fence? Having both could go a long way in easing any anxiety both you and they may possibly have.

Buddy is a handsome boy! His behavior doesn't sound too uncommon, especially if he imprinted on you and was hand raised as a baby. Just that time of year where everyone's favorite drake is a little riled up. Sounds like you've done a bit of reading on the topic, but here's a recent thread you might find some tips in, or at the very least some comfort knowing you're far from alone and have done nothing wrong. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-get-him-to-stop-attacking-me.1574889/

As far as your inside/outside dilemma is concerned, what is your set-up like outside in terms of space and everything? Do they have a coop and secure fence? Having both could go a long way in easing any anxiety both you and they may possibly have.
Ill defently be looking at that thread later!
At the moment outside they have a cage that is sadly pretty cheaply made as no one in my house knows how to make a cage on our own and we cant afford an amazing cage either but we dont really have any preditiors around anyway so often i just leave the cage door open so they get free roam of the garden as they never have been a fan of their cage and would just try to ascape or scream for me. They have no coop just a cage, there cage isnt that big as i said money whise we cant get anything great for them sadly but they seem to enjoy being inside the house at night so i never saw that as much of a problem but if it is something i shoudnt really be doing do tell me. (Im going sleep right now though so i wont answer probably till later on!)

Ill defently be looking at that thread later!
At the moment outside they have a cage that is sadly pretty cheaply made as no one in my house knows how to make a cage on our own and we cant afford an amazing cage either but we dont really have any preditiors around anyway so often i just leave the cage door open so they get free roam of the garden as they never have been a fan of their cage and would just try to ascape or scream for me. They have no coop just a cage, there cage isnt that big as i said money whise we cant get anything great for them sadly but they seem to enjoy being inside the house at night so i never saw that as much of a problem but if it is something i shoudnt really be doing do tell me. (Im going sleep right now though so i wont answer probably till later on!)

Without a coop I think it's probably best you're keeping them in at night. I would be worried leaving them out too. Ultimately, I guess it depends on what your goal for your ducks is. There are a few users on here with some happy house ducks. There's even diapers you can buy for them.

If you eventually want them outside fulltime, I would probably try the best you can to save for an inexpensive coop. If you're in the UK @BelovedBirds could probably lay out some options better than I could.

What are you using a for a pond? The thought of them opting for a shower instead of a swim is pretty funny lol.

Without a coop I think it's probably best you're keeping them in at night. I would be worried leaving them out too. Ultimately, I guess it depends on what your goal for your ducks is. There are a few users on here with some happy house ducks. There's even diapers you can buy for them.

If you eventually want them outside fulltime, I would probably try the best you can to save for an inexpensive coop. If you're in the UK @BelovedBirds could probably lay out some options better than I could.

What are you using a for a pond? The thought of them opting for a shower instead of a swim is pretty funny lol.
I did originally want them outside full time but i cant lie i enjoy their company.
For thr pond we dug a whole in their cage, put a lining down and fulled it with water. The water is a little muddy but i had changed it many times and they still wouldnt go in, the only time they nearly whent in,was when it rained heavly and the pond overflowed... they stood on the grass that it had overflowed and on cleaned themselves there but wouldnt actually go in the pond. (The pond is deep enough for them go swim in and a decent size for two ducks overall.)

Buddy my nearly 1 year old male Aylesbury is very emotional... He hates the word "bad" and "no", he seems to understand those words are used when he is being told off for doing something wrong but he doesn't seem to understand that this isn't me trying to upset him but rather me trying to express my dislike towards what he's doing. When I do tell the duck off he seems to get mad, he then starts to bite me aggressively till I take back my words and call him a "good bud bud" or cuddle him till he feels better... I've looked up what to do when he bites but often find people just say to pin them down but I feel to guilty to ever put my hands on my baby in such a cruel way so I end up just picking up the duck or leaving him alone with his sibling. Not only this but the smallest things scare my baby... Not long ago he ran across my room and ended up knocking something over, it fell to the ground (a bit loud and a little close to him) instead of just running off like a normal duck he froze and began to cry... Yes cry... Full on crying which cause's me to feel guilty and yes cry with him and by that I mean legit ball my eyes, I had to run to the baby pick him up and cuddle away the fear's but I'm starting to think maybe he's so emotional because me..? I have a lot of anxiety and I did baby him a lot when he was little and now still due to him being emotional. On top of that he seems to have a lot of energy which is a little difficult to drain at the moment as no my ducks don't enjoy their pond instead they like showers which they end up showering 1-2 times a day as they just love it so much and also don't clean them selves if they don't get wet by the rain or the shower water. (context: I had bad depression for a bit, never took them outside instead let them go in the shower which may be the reason why but it's been months since my depression was that bad so they've been going outside every morning for ages now, they have a pond in their cage but I do let them free roam the garden) My ducks do SOMETIMES enjoy eating the grass but they oddly seem to get bored of it fast and instead scream for me or run to the passage/door and wait for me to come let them in (They come indoors at night time due to my anxiety about loosing them) I'm just really unsure how to keep them entertained as I'm in school at the moment and can't spend 24/7 with them and even though they seem to prefer staying inside with me I don't think it's the right thing to do as they don't have much to do inside as their indoor cage is only for night time. I also would like to know if Buddy's emotional behaviour is normal or if there is something I've done wrong here and may need to sort out... Here is Buddy begging for attention 24/7 and a cute photo of him asleep under my chair which he often does when I allow them to roam my room. ❤️

View attachment 3500811View attachment 3500812View attachment 3500813View attachment 3500815View attachment 3500821
Awe, I love them. Is he a male for sure? I only ask because I can’t see a tail curl in the photos? I’ve never heard of the pinning down thing but it seems interesting. Like you, I’ve got 2 “Babies” Literally. They come by “Babies.” They know their individual names also. They sleep inside at night, always have, in a tote next to my bed, probably always will. I keep it very clean and they love their routine. As far as them being emotional, you are not alone. I hatched mine and are extreamly imprinted. Mine, I call, “scream” for me. They follow me around everywhere and they do take showers also but they have a pool too. I made them a big enclosure out of pallets and chicken wire, super sturdy and they’re got bird netting above. (They have my little quail guys in there also they are stare up at too) One thing I did that helped them with AND myself with the attachment issue is that I put up a camera. I can talk to them through the camera from my phone. I believe it makes them feel better when they get anxious and I can check up on them if I have to work late. So maybe consider that? There’s a lot of different ones you can get off Amazon.
The boys did the same thing with my door so just so you know, you’re not alone! My boys are very special to me also.

dont look at me, I'm the muppet who spent £200 on a poorly designed duck house, and then had to spend another £50 to adapt it :lau

@Pebble_Bunny Don't do what I did, the pricey coops are usually not worth it.

I used to have my two ducks indoors overnight, and in the daytime they'd go out in a DIY pen. They had an X pen inside lined with tarpaulin and a deep bed of wood shavings, for night time. It needed cleaning frequently, but my girls just hated diapers so that was my best option.
If you're able to save up, I'd reccomend looking online for a second hand coop, it'll want a good clean and disinfect before use, perhaps a bit of work doing on it, but it'll be much cheaper.
Or, you could save up a little more and build your own. I did this, but for a different purpose in which it wasn't actually used. It was easy enough to build, and not nearly as expensive as my duck's coop. The two important things are correct space, and good ventilation (without the risk of wind chill).
But if you enjoy having your ducks inside, that's understandable! I get it, it's nice to have their company! It is a lot less work having them outside full time though in my opinion, but perhaps you have a better system than I did.

View attachment 3500811View attachment 3500812View attachment 3500813View attachment 3500815View attachment 3500821
What a gorgeous boy! One of my ducks used to be very rough, she'd bite too hard, not aggressively, just curiously. I'd cup my hand loosely around her bill and say "calllm" or "gentle" and she'd move away, or calm down. Over time this actually worked, it's almost like she needed a reminder.
If the word "no" upsets him so much, try another word and action and be very slow and calm. What is it that he does which requires him being told off? Is it aggression or just other behaviours?

Just keep in mind that ducks aren't much like dogs, in that they won't understand the same way. The best way to teach them things is by repetition and actions. For example, gently but firmly pushing him away if he's hurting you until he understands he needs to be gentle to get what he wants.

this is nonetheless adorable!! wishing you the best of luck with your feathered friends :hugs :love

I did originally want them outside full time but i cant lie i enjoy their company.
For thr pond we dug a whole in their cage, put a lining down and fulled it with water. The water is a little muddy but i had changed it many times and they still wouldnt go in, the only time they nearly whent in,was when it rained heavly and the pond overflowed... they stood on the grass that it had overflowed and on cleaned themselves there but wouldnt actually go in the pond. (The pond is deep enough for them go swim in and a decent size for two ducks overall.)

Ahh gotcha, I have a pond I've hand dug for my ducks too. Started pretty small but my ducks always liked going in. It's about 150 sq ft and 4' deep at this point, but even when it was smaller it still took quite a bit of work. I've easily spent 100+ hours of physical labor working the pond over the last year, and it still isn't exactly where I'd like it. Definitely worthwhile imo but that route is a lot of work too.

A lot of people who can't or don't want to dig get kiddie pools for their ducks. Even with a pond I still have a few that get constantly used. Might be worth trying to find one if you could fit it in their pen.

Do you feed them treats much? Tossing some of their favorites in the pond and pen area might encourage them to swim, forage, and just generally relax and be more comfortable outside.

Back
Top Bottom