Emu advice

TGreenhut

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Northern, CA
Hi all! I am getting emus soon and I want any advice that you all have about keeping them. I've done alot of research and talked to some emu owners, so I know quite a bit, but extra info is never a bad thing. I want to hear about problems some of you emu owners have had when you first got your emus so I can be prepared.
Thanks!
(these emus are about 4 months old so any info on emus that age would be appreciated if you know anything)

Good luck with the girls TGreenhut. I am glad you are taking them. It was a tough decision to change my mind about them, but I really only want one female. My boys are so well behaved and easy to handle I just felt that adding two more would create chaos. I figured one would follow the boys but two who were bonded would head to the back of the property and the chase would be on nightly. Good luck to you. I am still holding out for a single female emu. Be sure to post pics!

Edited to add: If you are going to feed them Mazuri Ratite Starter or Maintenance, it is currently taking 6 weeks to arrive by special order at my local feed store (Echo Valley in Auburn). A lot of people feed them other feeds but I stick to the specialized feed for each animal. Costs more but takes the worry out of it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are perimeter walkers, they love kiddie pools and to be sprayed with hoses, they LOVE weeds, especially mustard and milkweed. They can go over a 6' fence, don't like loud booming noises, such as thunder or idiot neighbors shooting guns/fireworks. If you have chicken integrate immediately - otherwise they may try to stomp them. Keep them away from peach trees or you will never see another peach again! THEY LOVE THEM & THE BLOSSOMS.

Ditto what Kayla said about metal and shiny objects. Here is an x-ray of one of our boys. The vet counted 18 screws, nuts, and bolts, and a set of military dog tags. If you do any kind of work while they are around you have to secure your parts. It is a straight shot down their throats and before you know it, it's gone. Our other boy had more stuff than this in him. Both of them were fine but it was scary for us.

34566_mc_x-ray.jpg

Ours like loud noises at this age. They have no fear of moving objects and we have to be careful when operating our 6x6 Polaris because they run right along side it. They are probably the most curious animal I have ever owned. They know every square inch of our property and if something is moved or out of place they know immediately. My husband laid a rake in the pasture yesterday and Louis wouldn't go into the shelter for the night. He just stood over the rake. I picked the rake up and walked into the shelter and he followed me right in. We only have four foot fences right now but I envision T-post extensions in our future. I agree that they are perimeter walkers and runners. They have worn a path next to the fence of the three acres they occupy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone ever had a problem with an emu drowning, or getting stuck in the mud? We are looking at some land that has about an acre and a half pond/lake in the middle of it. It wouldnt be feasible to fence the pond in. I know they like water but should I be worried about them going for a swim and drowning?

Back
Top Bottom