Emu chick with open yolk site

Hey sorry, been busy with new baby goats and all that entails. Titan is doing well but....

I got the DNA results and all 4 emu were female. I only wanted male so they are off to new homes! It was a fun hatching experience.

Thanks for asking!

Good morning,

Hoping to get a little advice. I know many may have experience with other hatchlings that have had this issue that can possibly offer advice and hope.
This little one hatched unassisted yesterday afternoon and the site where he absorbed his yolk wasn't quite closed and some flesh seemed to be outside. Not bleeding. I talked to a few friends who are vet techs. One recommended to glove up and use an iodine dipped gauze to gently push it in if I could. That seemed fairly successful. I tried wrapping him in vet wrap to hold some guaze to the site and keep it clean. That was not successful. It was also suggested to suture the site closed in case it was intestines to avoid tissue drying out. I didn't feel comfortable doing that. I have the stuff but never researched it. It was looking much better last evening so I spray it with vetricyn, put a little triple antibiotic on and went to bed. He is alert and hanging with his friends this morning. They are all getting their legs under them.

The site looks about the same, but not fully closed and drying up. Any suggestions? Does this little one have any chance of survival or will there be potential complications as he starts eating? Should I attempt a suture?
I don't know a whole lot about emus, but had a chicken like that once. she lived and seemed to be healing nicely, until she died for no discernable reason. I think that she was not strong enough, even though she healed, she never got the nutrients she needed from the egg yolk (hers was broken, as opposed to just being unabsorbed)

Edit: nice! it's good to know your emus are doing well :)

Hey sorry, been busy with new baby goats and all that entails. Titan is doing well but....

I got the DNA results and all 4 emu were female. I only wanted male so they are off to new homes! It was a fun hatching experience.

Thanks for asking!
Why do you want to keep only the males?

Usually people want the exact the opposite. 🤔

Males are the friendliest. When you have males and females you actually want to keep more males than females. The opposite of most bird species.
That is very interesting.
I know nothing about Emus other than that their eyes are beautiful and they have a friendly face

Back
Top Bottom