Emu eggs...No wiggle, not whistle, no anything...ever...day 52

rjennings_2

Hatching
Apr 23, 2022
I set 4 emu eggs 52 days ago and have turned them at least 3 times a day, religiously. They stay at 25-35% humidity and 97.0-97.5° F. I have lightly tapped and leaned. I have talked to them, sang and even pleaded with them to give me some sort of sign 😬. There has been zero sign of life. What do I do??? Be patient? Emergency hole in the air cell side? Give up and take my losses?

'They say they start wiggling and things before now though'

I am wild-emu guy, but the folks here who incubate have mentioned that you should be getting wiggles and whistles from about half way through.

SE

'They say they start wiggling and things before now though'

I am wild-emu guy, but the folks here who incubate have mentioned that you should be getting wiggles and whistles from about half way through.

SE
Darn. That's what I thought. So, I certainly shouldn't have high hopes, huh

Again, I note that I know zilch about incubating; but the photo below is of a wild male, Boy Emu, whom I observed over the entire incubation period. (He has five newly-hatched chicks under him at this point.) And two things that I have since learned here from incubators, about emu eggs incubating, and remembered because they are fine data, are that (a) wiggling happens in eggs about half way through (so Boy Emu is getting those signals beneath him) and (b) that at some (later?) point the eggs cheep (so Boy Emu is getting those signals beneath him).

1650784448457.png

Last edited:
Most eggs will start to wiggle around day 30, very slight wiggles. Then they start rocking around day 42. Are the eggs slanting to one end at all? If you were to roll them to one side, what do they do? I would wait a little longer to make sure they’re not just sleeping when you go to wiggle test. What incubator do you have them in?

Back
Top Bottom