Vashtiruescode3

Hatching
Mar 7, 2020
I'm doing some super thorough research before taking the leap in to owning Emu. Bare with me as I explain prior to my question:

I have more than enough land (220 acres) with horses, cattle, donkeys, mini miles, chickens, and ducks. My parents live at the other end of the ranch, half mile away, and have all the same animals since we co own the property, only my mom has guineas and peafowl on her side.

My husband and I will be setting aside acreage for our own cattle (to become self sustaining in the next 5 years) as we currently have 20 ish acres sectioned off for us where the hoof stock can't eat our trampoline, vehicles, siding, etc. My chickens and ducks share a large custom coop on 3 acres during the night, and free range in their 3 acre paddock during the day. I spend a TON of time with my birdies.

We prefer pipe fencing, and will be doing that with no climb for the cattle. Would steel pipe with no climb be sufficient for Emu?

As for the housing, while I have zero plans on mixing any Emu with my smaller birds, I'd custom build their shelter. What all do they enjoy? How large of a shelter would 2 Emu prefer? I'd likely go for 8x10ft or 10x10ft. Do they roost low? Or at all? What in cabin amenities (toys) would they enjoy? The chickens have xylophones, mirrors, treat balls, obstacle courses, etc., and I'd absolutely spoil the heck out of anything else I invest in.

Yes, I understand they live up to 25 yrs in captivity, and I'm absolutely ok with that. I have an amazing exotic veterinarian who sees my flock, as well as my domestics, and will be checking with him this coming week on his experience with massive birds.

I adore my wee Raptors. I'd really, really adore huge ones!

Thank you for any input, recommendations, and kind advice.

'I'd custom build their shelter. What all do they enjoy? How large of a shelter would 2 Emu prefer? I'd likely go for 8x10ft or 10x10ft. Do they roost low? Or at all? What in cabin amenities (toys) would they enjoy?'

They roost on the ground, with their feet tucked up under them, their breasts resting on the ground, and their feathers a sort of curtain around them.
500x1000px-LL-45e82cd1_BENESTIING.jpeg

And now for Something Completely Different:

if you have ooodles of space, rather than xylophones, I'd put effort into the development of that space. Foraging -- pecking at seeds, and cropping grass -- is great exercise for your emus.* They absolutely luuuurv fruit, and here in my house-clearing, they get to browse figs, apricots, plums, grapes, and lilly pillies. Such trees are great shade in hot weather.

This is, I think, Number One and one of Eric's chicks foraging for figs.

20170407_104023.jpg

If there is a water source in their world, can you get stuff to grow naturally? Even just grass? And they love to swim/wallow.

Could you get some thickets of bushes going? I am fairly sure that an emu that can get out of line-of-sight of its fellows is a happy emu. (That is, I really think that unadorned pens with a number of emus is a recipe for unhappiness.)

Finally, their shelter. It's a standing joke, Vash, that owners think that emus want elaborate shelters but the emus themselves couldn't care less (though it is the case that wild emus always roost among trees, not in the open).

*The posts about the apparent frequency of splay leg puzzle me. What is the frequency in the wild?
The fact is that chicks in the wild get ENORMOUS amounts of exercise from Day One, snatch-and-twisting foods from all around them, and ploughing their way through soaking wet grass and litter as tall as they are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom