Emu Foot hurt

KalikoFarms

Songster
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
I have a 2 yr old female Emu that has hurt her foot and I need to know if this has happened to anyone else , and if so what did you do? It seems to get a bit worse each day I have put and antibiotic/iodine type medication

Someone please help us and answer

I have a 2 yr old female Emu that has hurt her foot and I need to know if this has happened to anyone else , and if so what did you do? It seems to get a bit worse each day I have put and antibiotic/iodine type medication

Someone please help us and answer

I am here, Kaliko. My skills are few -- others will pop up -- but let's go:

Well, is there injury beyond infection? Is she walking okay? Can you bathe the wound?

Kaliko, if the bird is basically healthy, and there is no real injury, and she is eating okay, the outlook is good.

S.E. Unicup, Western Australia

I am not sure about infection its almost as if she has bumblefoot like chickens get...I did talk to a vet (of course in Alabama if it isn't a cow or dog they know NOTHING)and he said that bumblefoot is what it sounds like and told me to get some iodine or bluecoat and get it on the foot and keep it as clean as possible.........and her off of it....RIGHT...
Back to the wound she is walking with a limp but we can play with her and she will lay down and let my husband rub the medicine in it. As for her health, she is as healthy as a horse (vets here know what they are also....LOL) she still eating her watermelon and her feed and she still wants me to clip her grass up for her (YES SHE IS VERY SPOILED) we are just very concerned about the limp and the swelling. There is like a swollen knot on the sole of her two end dinasore toes of her left foot. LOL Please don't tell me I have to open it cause she will NOT be a happy Emu at all. And the male we just got for her might get the wrong idea about us. He already was abused a bit:(
Thanks so very much for your help
Rita.

You have a vet to hand? Fine.

If you need to do minor operations, you shall.It is the burden of ownership. The bird will forgive you.

You cut up its grass for it? Hmmm . . .

Kaliko, one of the problems with captive birds -- largely with chicks -- is insufficient exercise. In the wild -- there are five wild birds in the house-clearing here right now -- emus are lean and hungry.

So, when this bird starts coming good, for its own sake, few sweetie treaties, and more exercise. Some owners use a 'weasel ball' -- ??

Here is a tame-wild double-alpha female named Greedy. Check the look in her eyes. She will eat from your hand, though.

Your birds best pray they never come into conflict with her. She is -- was -- awesome.

SE, unicup, Western Australia

Back
Top Bottom