Emu Hatch-a-long 2012

Got my results from Zoogen last night:

7 samples
6 males
1 female

sending out three more today - I really need at least one of these to be a female. The whole idea was to get a few breeding pairs
fl.gif

May have to sell some of the male chicks or raise for meat - still re-thinking my game plan.

Got my results from Zoogen last night:

7 samples
6 males
1 female

sending out three more today - I really need at least one of these to be a female. The whole idea was to get a few breeding pairs
fl.gif

May have to sell some of the male chicks or raise for meat - still re-thinking my game plan.

fl.gif

I hope my "curse of the boys" hasn't rubbed off on ya!

I have 2 samples to mail in.. I vent sexed the others as I had people ask for boys.. everyone was a boy too (so they were re-homed to a few locals).. haven't bothered to vent sex these last two since they like to kick way too much!

Either way we'll be keeping them for now.. hopefully I have 2 girls.. but I'm not gonna hold my breath considering my luck!

fl.gif

I hope my "curse of the boys" hasn't rubbed off on ya!
idunno.gif
Wow...

I wonder if the dead-in-shell and died-during-hatch were predominantly female.

With humans it's the males that are more vulnerable genetically because of the Y chromosome -- males get stuck with the sex-linked mutations (such as hemophilia). But with birds it's the opposite, males are "XX" and females are "XY" and it's females that get stuck with the sex-linked recessive mutations.

(Note -- it's not called XX and XY in birds, it's called something else, ...???)
(Also -- I never understood how they wound up the opposite of mammals...???)

Just got back from the post office - mailed out my last three samples - I need one more female
fl.gif

I was thinking the same thing - wondering if the two that died during hatch or just afterward were females - for $20 a sample + shipping I would not test just to find out.

Just got back from the post office - mailed out my last three samples - I need one more female
fl.gif

I was thinking the same thing - wondering if the two that died during hatch or just afterward were females - for $20 a sample + shipping I would not test just to find out.

could always do a necropsy on the dead chicks

it would make sense since a female will mate with more than one male.. having more males would mean that more nests could be set each season

Hi again, back with some more weights! I'm currently on Day 26th. What's going inside the eggs at this age? When do you notice any signs of life? Based on my weights, I think everything is okay so far which makes me very optimistic!

Egg 1

April 20th - 581.3
April 27th - 566.0
May 3rd - 556.0
May 16th - 533.4

Egg 2

April 20th - 542.4
April 27th - 528.3
May 3rd - 519.1
May 16th - 496.5

So excited!

Hoping for a double hatch for you moonjelly !!! You should see the egg move or rock when you whistle to it after week 5 and around the 48th day you will hear chirping when you whistle to it.

I officially moved Sorin and Callisto to the shed with the rest of the birds
wink.png
I also moved them into the big bird pen LOL I have peafowl and chickens so I have a very large pen in my backyard and I had to use plastic fening to make a seperate pen in the main pen for them LOL I took pictures ands will post some tomorrow night after work. The male Sorin still got a scrap on his beak even with the plastic fencing
ep.gif

Last edited:
Thanks! I really hope they both hatch. I don't want one to be all alone. :/ I am picking up some ostrich chicks this week though, but they'll be a little bit ahead of the game. :)

Back
Top Bottom