End of life?

ChickenMom04

Songster
Oct 17, 2020
I have a 5 and a half year old hen who’s been acting lazy for the past couple weeks. It started as roosting earlier than the others, and progressed slowly to sitting on the floor in her nest, not moving with her head tucked under her wing. She’s still breathing, but hardly flinches when I touch her. Her crop is normal and I’ve checked for injuries/egg bound. She’s been laying less and less since a while ago, which is expected at her age. Her comb isn’t pale, but feels cooler than normal to the touch. She doesn’t seem to be in pain and I assume she’s just reaching the end. She’s one of our oldest girls. I just want her to die peacefully and painlessly, which is what looks like is happening. Any ideas? I don’t want to miss something that might be treatable.

I am so sorry to hear this. I lost a hen at around 7 this evening, she was 4.5 but otherwise your post could have been mine. I hope that your bird passes as quietly as mine did.

I have a 5 and a half year old hen who’s been acting lazy for the past couple weeks. It started as roosting earlier than the others, and progressed slowly to sitting on the floor in her nest, not moving with her head tucked under her wing. She’s still breathing, but hardly flinches when I touch her. Her crop is normal and I’ve checked for injuries/egg bound. She’s been laying less and less since a while ago, which is expected at her age. Her comb isn’t pale, but feels cooler than normal to the touch. She doesn’t seem to be in pain and I assume she’s just reaching the end. She’s one of our oldest girls. I just want her to die peacefully and painlessly, which is what looks like is happening. Any ideas? I don’t want to miss something that might be treatable.
It does sound like her age affecting her body . But still i see many buff orps living 9+ years of age still healthy .
So there's 50-50% chances .

One of my friend having 5.5 years old chicken whose acting slow the cause found is bumblefoot
When we remove it Did a round course of antibiotics he's all well and active and back in form

Their age affect them when something else also happening we find the bumblefoot pain is the reason of her chicken felt lasy and silent

Their age affect them when something else also happening we find the bumblefoot pain is the reason of her chicken felt lasy and silent
I checked her for bumblefoot since I’ve had other experiences with it. There didn’t appear to be anything wrong. She passed peacefully this morning, just fell asleep and stopped breathing. I could send her in to determine a cause of death, but it seems like she was just getting old.

Back
Top Bottom