Ended - Coop Page Contest Early 2011 - Winners Chosen!

Joe

I totally understand your hesitation about the pop door as I did too!

I went to great lengths (and expense) to make this coop a formidable Forte Knox. We have the 1/2" hardware cloth everywhere--very tight and secured to the frame at frequent enough intervals (not with staples but washers and screws) as well as completely underneath the coop (6 inches of sand over it so the girls won't scratch the wire). Multiple childproof locks on each door and all heavy construction--nothing flimsy or loose on the entire coop.

Being an obsessive pet owner I have tested it thoroughly and the only way a raccoon or possum can get in is if they have a chain saw. Our best friend builds homes and I had him test it for weaknesses too--he found none. He could not even push a door open using more strength than a raccoon could have. I also have foiled raccoons and herons from getting our pond fish for over 17 years--it helps that I am an animal behaviorist.

We also have a motion flood light and well trained Belgian Malinois who guards her girls as if they were family. Cherokee was a patrol dog in the military so I think she'll be able to keep a raccoon off the property. She can get to the coop from our family room in less than 2 seconds.

I am very glad you brought this up and that you are concerned about security as I have read too many sad stories. I know we went a bit overboard but the only possible entrance would be from a human error--like not locking the "people" door. This was one reason for 3 locks on that door--I wanted it to stay close even if you forgot one.

Quote:
Good looking job, Chickerdoodle. Love the ventilation.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry! We also leave the pop door open 24/7. I was worried about drafts from the door in the winter and had a few plans if occurred but none so far--and we've had some windy days. I had hoped the 10 foot high arborvitae bushes near the coop would block the winter wind that would hit the pop door and by golly it's really working! http://www.pic4ever.com/images/128fs318181.gif

I would strongly advise to close the pop doors at night. They are a part of the last defense you have if a predator breaches the run/fence. We always lock our coop down at dusk and open it shortly after sunrise. In spite of the elaborate precautions I took there is always a chance that the power could fail, neutralizing the fence charger on the very night that a pred was trying to find a way in to the run. Then there is Murphy's Law too.

Other than one loss to a hawk, we have had no other losses to preds. You cannot afford to underestimate them.

Gerry

Quote:
Good job Elmo. Well thought out. Great ventilation. Poop catcher looks too narrow. I did mine 2 ft wide, but then my roost is 2 ft above the poop board itself, so that they can gain access to the roost by taking two hops. I guess most chook poop has a trajectory,
lol.png
and it is not perfectly vertical either as I can testify to from my many morning cleanings.
sickbyc.gif
They manage to poop right on the very edge of it even tho the roost is dead center in the middle of the 24" depth.
ep.gif
I recycle it into my garden or shrub beds too.
cool.png

Quote:
Good looking job. I am going to change my poop boards to either galvanized sheet metal or formica. Noticed you have the formica. You did a good job making it look like it was planned, as opposed to haphazard. It is the way it matches the existing structures. That is important to me too.

Gerry

Thank you for viewing! That was probably the first thing we purchased before starting the coop, I found the 2 pieces at our local habitat restore and could not resist, we live near a retired community neighborhood so I wanted everything to be visually attractive also, and not detract from the property. We have many good neighbors, and hopefully will have them be able to watch over the flock if we need to take off a few days now and then. It really did take on different plans from the one's I started with, each day we changed little things to improve on the beginning design.
Matt

Quote:
Good looking job. I am going to change my poop boards to either galvanized sheet metal or formica. Noticed you have the formica. You did a good job making it look like it was planned, as opposed to haphazard. It is the way it matches the existing structures. That is important to me too.

Gerry

Thank you for viewing! That was probably the first thing we purchased before starting the coop, I found the 2 pieces at our local habitat restore and could not resist, we live near a retired community neighborhood so I wanted everything to be visually attractive also, and not detract from the property. We have many good neighbors, and hopefully will have them be able to watch over the flock if we need to take off a few days now and then. It really did take on different plans from the one's I started with, each day we changed little things to improve on the beginning design.
Matt

Any good home-built coop is a result of thorough planning and an evolving design. Had already set my sights on formica poop boards , but used what I had to get it done and get my chooks out of our garage and the 4 large boxes they were in, and into their new coop. Will still be looking for some recycled kitchen counter tops OR will do galvanized sheet metal. I think formica would be the better choice as there can be no deterioration due to chemical attack on it. Hardware cloth over existing screens is another one I want to do just in case a weasel could climb up vinyl siding and reach the screens. Am also adding still more of the silver streamers over the run area for anti-hawk/owl purposes. Am likely to fill spaces in between with heavy duty monofilament. Birds can see it better than we can and it is a deterrent to a pred knowing that they cannot do a snatch and grab, but must land in a place where a takeoff is going to be tough. Wintertime is likely to be when they will be desparate/hungry enough to strike anyway.

Gerry

I'm working on building a page, and I'm going to submit it once I'm done. I have to find and upload the photos, since they're no longer on the computer.
I wanted to do one last year, but I was still working on the coop addition when the contest was on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom